• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Easy guide to update to Galaxo or GAOSP!

the problem is that its not in there :)

EDIT: something si wrong with su, cant get other apps to get it too, galaxo conf just crashes when applying settings. Strange.
Can't enable or disable su in recovery throws out an error.

EDIT2: i restored from the latest backup and its ok now. too much adb shell can hurt :)
su does throw an error in recovery as the kernal is rooted

i had issues with the superuser app and a restore was needed a while back

Upvote 0
Thank you VERY VERY MUCH!

My phone was rebooting its-self constantly, so i got sick of it and rooted it, just booting into it now!

And man, do i notice the changes !!!!

Edit: After restoring my APN, Apps and Ringtones, Its DEFIANTLY Snappier than JC6
You're welcome! :D

Oh, and did you overclock your phone? It's in the app "Galaxo configuration", you can select O/C 614Mhz or O/C 710Mhz. The higher the better, of course.

Because it sure is snappier. ;)

Upvote 0
You're welcome! :D

Oh, and did you overclock your phone? It's in the app "Galaxo configuration", you can select O/C 614Mhz or O/C 710Mhz. The higher the better, of course.

Because it sure is snappier. ;)

I plan to give O/C a go in a bit here, im just doing tests and what not, working great so far, but my one complaint is: its not letting me change the number of items in the menu via Extend, as i dont like it with 6 and 5 icons...

Edit 1: camera dosent work either, it takes the picture, then it just appear's corrupted.
Edit 2: forgot about camera enable
Edit 3: is there a theme I can install that is the default design, with a black status bar like the htc hero?
Edit 4: Is it normal for the phone to have g.apps crashing once and a while, but also lagging out wifi teather and crashing widgets upon boot?

Upvote 0
I plan to give O/C a go in a bit here, im just doing tests and what not, working great so far, but my one complaint is: its not letting me change the number of items in the menu via Extend, as i dont like it with 6 and 5 icons...

Edit 1: camera dosent work either, it takes the picture, then it just appear's corrupted.
Edit 2: forgot about camera enable
Edit 3: is there a theme I can install that is the default design, with a black status bar like the htc hero?
Edit 4: Is it normal for the phone to have g.apps crashing once and a while, but also lagging out wifi teather and crashing widgets upon boot?

I don't know about the theme, I never really looked into the black border. All I can say is that I'm using Helix Launcher and I really like it.

I can't really help you with g.apps either, as I don't really use them a lot. I only have one application/widget that crashes once in a while, and it's the weather widget, all the others are fine. I never used wifi tether either.

All in all, I can't really help you with that. I do however appreciate the fact that you edited your post instead of posting five times. ;)

Upvote 0
I don't know about the theme, I never really looked into the black border. All I can say is that I'm using Helix Launcher and I really like it.

I can't really help you with g.apps either, as I don't really use them a lot. I only have one application/widget that crashes once in a while, and it's the weather widget, all the others are fine. I never used wifi tether either.

All in all, I can't really help you with that. I do however appreciate the fact that you edited your post instead of posting five times. ;)

its easier to manage if you just edit the post. Well, i looked around online, turns out i needed to re-restore the g.apps, its working now :p

Teather Wifi needed a reboot from the first install.

All in all, its fixed now lol, im just happy my phone isnt rebooting by-itself anymore

Edit: I forgot to ask, Why is it that i cant change the number of icons per row?

Upvote 0
I just installed this. Now I have no 3G. I'm on Bell Canada and I think I followed the steps correctly. Help me Please. :)

Bell APN

1. Press the Menu key
2. Tap Settings
3. Tap Wireless controls
4. Tap Mobile networks
5. Tap Access Point Names
6. Press the Menu key
7. Tap New APN

Name: Bell Internet
APN: pda.bell.ca
Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 610
APN type: Internet + mms
Authentication Type: none

Reactions: ct2020
Upvote 0
Bell APN

1. Press the Menu key
2. Tap Settings
3. Tap Wireless controls
4. Tap Mobile networks
5. Tap Access Point Names
6. Press the Menu key
7. Tap New APN

Name: Bell Internet
APN: pda.bell.ca
Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 610
APN type: Internet + mms
Authentication Type: none

I have never entered any information other than the APN = pda.bell.ca But then again I don't use POP mail. Exchange and Gmail.

Upvote 0
Hey, so i am trying to do this switch to Galaxo, and i have tried it several times but when i get to the recovery screen i dont get that nice big list, i only get reboot system now. It says:
Mini Recovery Mode
The archive : rectools.tar.gz was not found on /sdcard/

this small recovery allow you to upload the rectool.tar.gz archive on /sdcard/using adb
when the upload was done, reboot again in recovery mode

Just to confirm the /sdcard/ destination is the external sdcard *not* the 8gb internal storage space?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hey, so i am trying to do this switch to Galaxo, and i have tried it several times but when i get to the recovery screen i dont get that nice big list, i only get reboot system now. It says:
Mini Recovery Mode
The archive : rectools.tar.gz was not found on /sdcard/

this small recovery allow you to upload the rectool.tar.gz archive on /sdcard/using adb
when the upload was done, reboot again in recovery mode

Just to confirm the /sdcard/ destination is the external sdcard *not* the 8gb internal storage space?

Thanks

The 8gb internal storage is actually an SD card, so you have to put it there.

You DON'T need an external SD card. ;)

Reactions: Potatochip
Upvote 0
Is it possible to change the notification bar from white to black color on Galaxo 1.6.3.3 without applying a whole theme?

If it is i want to know how :)

I guess it is. I never tried, but you could either: do your own, or modify an existing theme (just like inFECT's Darksense) to remove everything except the notification bar in the framework-res.apk, and I think you'd need the services.odex (or .jar?) for the date and hour to become white. Because of this, I don't think it's possible in Metamorph (I might be wrong), so you'd have to sign the new update.zip after modifying it.

It's a complicated thing, so you'd probably be better modifying a Metamorph theme, but there might be problems with the date. (black on black)

Reactions: Pennywis3
Upvote 0
@DaSchmarotzer,

Thanks for the wonderful guide !! I was really hesitant about moving to Galaxo earlier, but after reading your instructions, I changed my mind and gave it a go! Really, even my brother could follow these instructions and not mess up.

At this point, I doubt if it's really needed, but you don't have any screen shots of the phone in "fastboot" or of it loading up the Galaxo image. So, here they are from me ! (Well, it was my brother who took them, and holding the camera up and taking the shots in that 15-second gap was difficult, so if you find these useful, some thanks would really go a long way)

On a minor point, for me the file-name was "SAMSUNG.tar" and not "Samsung.tar"

Again, thanks a bunch for this !!

-chronodekar

EDIT:
How do I go about finding what clock-speed the phone is running at? I have no interest in overclocking the phone for regular use, but I want to confirm that the phone is UNDER-clocked when the display is off - how do I do this?

Attachments

• DSCI0016.JPG
    DSCI0016.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCI0041.JPG
    DSCI0041.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: DaSchmarotzer
Upvote 0
there are various overclock widgets about for simple overclock settings
you will need to go into galaxo config first and select the overclock option for either 614 or 710 then you can use an overclock widget to cap it at the values you want
mine is set to 120000 - 654000 because it got unstable at 710 and charging via usb does some odd stuff when the phone is idle at 19000.

it does sleep when screen is off or even idle. i use setcpu which again is a paid app but it can show you the freq in real time and even just not touching it it drops to lower value when you set it to "on demand"

Upvote 0
Just a quick bump of Help here.

On my install the Graphical Superuser App started to fail causing me to need to revert apps..

if you have this issue Cold Boot the battery, and start in recovery, and select the option (DISABLE ROOT), THEN (ENABLE ROOT) THEN (FIX PERMISSIONS)

that will give you the other SU App

:p works better for Wifi Tether too

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones