• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Easy Root and Milestone

I can believe that. The bluetooth did become active at the beginning of the process. I'm wondering if we are honestly truly rooted then? It seems so.
Yup I've done it and have tried tethering and overclocking which all works [never used to prior to this].

As easy as the new jailbreak for iphone :)
I hope the creator continues to work his magic when the OTA 2.2 update comes

Upvote 0
Noobie questions. So when you do this root, will you be able to update to 2.2, or do you have to unroot. Do you have to perform a backup before you do this? Does it void warranty, or more specifically will overclocking void warranty?

...as far as I know, all rooting voids warranties. (Don't quote me on that though...).

But its just as "Easy" to unroot as it was to root. One button magic.

I'm rooted...
Now, I'm un-rooted...
Now, I'm rooted again...:D

Upvote 0
hi im a bit of a noob when it comes to this kind of thing.
1st question: does this include the suped user app?
2nd: can you use app2sd and is apps2sd an apk?
3rd: whats the chances of this bricking my phone?

thanks in advance

Yes, you get the super User app.
No idea about app2sd... where do you download it?
Haven't heard of any brick, since as others have stated it appears it is using bluetooth as a work around.

That being said, you can overclock the CPU very easy, teether, etc.

And will this void your warranty? Probably, if you were to tell your provider you did it.... which I would assume your smarter then that if your looking at rooting your phone in the first place? Will overclocking your processor void the warranty? I'm sure it will, and will likely lessen the life... but who uses a phone longer then 2 - 3 years anyway so woopty do.

Upvote 0
Yes, you get the super User app.
No idea about app2sd... where do you download it?
Haven't heard of any brick, since as others have stated it appears it is using bluetooth as a work around.

That being said, you can overclock the CPU very easy, teether, etc.

And will this void your warranty? Probably, if you were to tell your provider you did it.... which I would assume your smarter then that if your looking at rooting your phone in the first place? Will overclocking your processor void the warranty? I'm sure it will, and will likely lessen the life... but who uses a phone longer then 2 - 3 years anyway so woopty do.
thanks for your reply. and you can download apps2sd from theunlockr.com i think. another question is the overclock app in the superuser app?

Upvote 0
The easiest way to install apps2sd is by using G.O.T's OpenRecovery which you can find here. But to use G.O.T's OpenRecovery, you need to flash the vulnerable recovery first.

Since you used Easy Root to root your phone, I am assuming you didn't feel comfortable flashing the vulnerable recovery. Otherwise you wouldn't need Easy Root, since you can also root your phone using G.O.T's OpenRecovery after you flash the vulnerable recovery. Have a look at this this screenshot.

And if this is the fast and light telus rom you are talking about, I am afraid you wont be able to use that either without flashing the vulnerable recovery. Its a nandroid backup and you need OpenRecovery or ADBRecovery to "restore" it to your phone.

Upvote 0
The easiest way to install apps2sd is by using G.O.T's OpenRecovery which you can find here. But to use G.O.T's OpenRecovery, you need to flash the vulnerable recovery first.

Since you used Easy Root to root your phone, I am assuming you didn't feel comfortable flashing the vulnerable recovery. Otherwise you wouldn't need Easy Root, since you can also root your phone using G.O.T's OpenRecovery after you flash the vulnerable recovery. Have a look at this this screenshot.

And if this is the fast and light telus rom you are talking about, I am afraid you wont be able to use that either without flashing the vulnerable recovery. Its a nandroid backup and you need OpenRecovery or ADBRecovery to "restore" it to your phone.

Hi,

I'm pretty new to rooting as well.

What would you say are the advantages of using OpenRecovery over EasyRoot?

I'm mostly interested in overclocking my Telus Moto Milestone, and perhaps changing some of the startup apps (removing voice dial, corporate calendar, etc). Which method would you recommend for me?

I have experience with Linux, but, no experience with rooting :)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
If you have experience with linux then you must be familiar with the "su" command. Rooting just adds two additional files to your phone; "su" and "Superuser.apk". The "su" file provides the "su" command and the "Superuser.apk" is an app that controls access to the "su" command. The "Root Phone" option in G.O.T's OpenRecovery automatically adds the "su" and "Superuser.apk" (version 2.2.2) to your phone. Superuser 2.3.1 is available and if you have experience with linux you should be able to manually add the two files to your phone. You can do this while in OpenRecovery by using the Android Debug Bridge (adb) which you can find in the Android SDK.

Let me know if you need more info. :D

Reactions: Knowthenazz
Upvote 0
If you have experience with linux then you must be familiar with the "su" command. Rooting just adds two additional files to your phone; "su" and "Superuser.apk". The "su" file provides the "su" command and the "Superuser.apk" is an app that controls access to the "su" command. The "Root Phone" option in G.O.T's OpenRecovery automatically adds the "su" and "Superuser.apk" (version 2.2.2) to your phone. Superuser 2.3.1 is available and if you have experience with linux you should be able to manually add the two files to your phone. You can do this while in OpenRecovery by using the Android Debug Bridge (adb) which you can find in the Android SDK.

Let me know if you need more info. :D

Hi ashketchum,

Thanks for the info.

And yes, more info would be appreciated :) I have experience with su. So from the sounds of it, both EasyRoot and GOT's OpenRecovery just adds the two files ("su" and "Superuser.apk") to your system.

What would you say are the advantages to each method?

Would both methods allow me to overclock and use SetCPU? Would both methods allow me remove certain auto startup applications?

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Hi ashketchum,

Thanks again for getting back to me. I really appreciate your patience.

For some reason, it looks like your last post was deleted/removed. I think there might have been a server restore recently.

I was going to wait until after 2.2 was released for the Milestone to root my phone, as I think 2.2 will be the last official software release (if it comes out at all), and so I wouldn

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones