• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root EASY ROOT for LG-P500 (June 2011)

Tom Ford

Lurker
Jun 1, 2011
In my previous thread I voiced problems with rooting a brand new LG-P500 Optimus One, bought in New Zealand (but imported from HK) in May 2011.

Android version 2.2.1 (Froyo), Kernel version 2.6.32.9, Software version V10b-Dec-07-2010. Kingston 16GB Class 4 SD card inserted and formatted.

I can now confirm, that as of last night the phone is successfully rooted!

I am not an expert, just a guy that likes to have things set-up my way rather than the Google way.

I have used the GingerBreak-v1.20.apk and followed simple instructions posted on XDA [26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers (Thank you, Chainfire, I am about to send some paypal donation $$ your way).

My experience:

- Downloaded the above .apk to my desktop (booted to win xp running on 24" iMac via bootcamp - I normally use the OSX side for work)

- Used Advanced Task Killer app to manually kill all the useless running apps.

- Connected the phone to the iMac (I already had the LG Suite and drivers), turned on USB storage and Debugging + ticked the Settings/Applications/Unknown sources (everything else off, phone only on 2G network).

- Copied the Gingerbreak to the phone then used Root Explorer app to find it, installed it

- Again made sure no other apps were running before I touched the root button

- The .apk did its thing, only took about a minute before the phone rebooted itself and maybe 2-3 min. for the actual reboot to finish

- Everything fine, the .apk installed Super User too.

- Used Root Explorer to go to "system/apps", touched the "mount R/W" button and deleted all the factory crap I didn't want on my phone: facebook, twitter, and a bunch of useless Asian business apps that all kept on launching in the background by default, all the silly ringtones I would never use and awful stock wallpapers

- Installed Ad Free Android app

- Phone now runs nice the way I want it, happy!

----------------------------------------------------

Found a very good and easy software for one touch transfer of DVDs to the LG-P500 (for the kids in the car) - http://www.ripcat.com/dc4.0tr.zip

Keep up the good work all you clever computer geeks out there, cheers!

Tom

I am unable to download the file GingerBreak v1.20 ... trying all day long ... only 33kb downloads and then stops ... Could anyone pls send the file as attachment to my email ... spljoe@gmail.com ... pls do help ...

USB Mass Storage not working; so cannot try other rooting methods.

In my previous thread I voiced problems with rooting a brand new LG-P500 Optimus One, bought in New Zealand (but imported from HK) in May 2011.

Android version 2.2.1 (Froyo), Kernel version 2.6.32.9, Software version V10b-Dec-07-2010. Kingston 16GB Class 4 SD card inserted and formatted.

I can now confirm, that as of last night the phone is successfully rooted!

I am not an expert, just a guy that likes to have things set-up my way rather than the Google way.

I have used the GingerBreak-v1.20.apk and followed simple instructions posted on XDA [26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers (Thank you, Chainfire, I am about to send some paypal donation $$ your way).

My experience:

- Downloaded the above .apk to my desktop (booted to win xp running on 24" iMac via bootcamp - I normally use the OSX side for work)

- Used Advanced Task Killer app to manually kill all the useless running apps.

- Connected the phone to the iMac (I already had the LG Suite and drivers), turned on USB storage and Debugging + ticked the Settings/Applications/Unknown sources (everything else off, phone only on 2G network).

- Copied the Gingerbreak to the phone then used Root Explorer app to find it, installed it

- Again made sure no other apps were running before I touched the root button

- The .apk did its thing, only took about a minute before the phone rebooted itself and maybe 2-3 min. for the actual reboot to finish

- Everything fine, the .apk installed Super User too.

- Used Root Explorer to go to "system/apps", touched the "mount R/W" button and deleted all the factory crap I didn't want on my phone: facebook, twitter, and a bunch of useless Asian business apps that all kept on launching in the background by default, all the silly ringtones I would never use and awful stock wallpapers

- Installed Ad Free Android app

- Phone now runs nice the way I want it, happy!

----------------------------------------------------

Found a very good and easy software for one touch transfer of DVDs to the LG-P500 (for the kids in the car) - DVD Catalyst

Keep up the good work all you clever computer geeks out there, cheers!

Tom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones