• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Easy Root to=>Official 2.2=>Back to stock?

philly_droid

Lurker
Nov 28, 2009
Ok, I have what I think may be a unique dilemma...

I am a casual Droid owner and haven't felt a real need to root. I'm happy with the speed, and don't have any desire to customize the phone. Average use for me is phone, txt, email, maps/navigation, web browsing, and gmote.

Yesterday I decided to try the Easy Root app. It said my phone was now rooted. I regretted it immediately, because I don't want to get in over my head in the event that I have a problem and have to take it back to the store. I did not instal any 2.2 roms.

Today I downloaded the 2.2 update from the google servers and applied it to my phone. I thought this would solve my problems, but the Superuser Permissions icon is still in my apps. I would like this to be gone completely, but I'm not sure what the next step is.

Basically, I want to start over completely now.

If I hadn't applied the 2.2 update, I would have followed instructions to take it back to 2.0.1, then updated to 2.1, then installed 2.2, but I'm not sure that's possible now. I downloaded a 2.0.1 update.zip, put it on my sd card (after getting rid of the 2.2 update.zip) tried to apply it, and got an error.

Also, I have a mac, not a pc.

Thanks!

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/136508-guide-all-things-root-related.html

The catch all thread there. It has instructions for reverting your phone to a stock state. Basically what you will need to do is download the stock 2.1 SBF file and flash that to your phone. It will flash over everything, including the /system partition where the superuser app is stored, so that will be gone. Once you're back on stock 2.1 you should be able to re-update the phone to 2.2 normally.

If you feel more comfortable, you can wait and hopefully the fully stock, non-rooted 2.2 SBF will soon be available and you can just go straight to that. The Superuser app isn't doing any harm right now unless you need to send the phone in for service, so you could probably wait if you wanted to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones