• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Easy Tether for Ubuntu 10.04?

side0ut

Jun 11, 2010
Hi all,

I have tried searching but did not find anything that would help me. I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop to try it out and start learning. I have been using easy tether with my vista with great success. Not sure how to configure Ubuntu to work. I downloaded and installed the i386 package in Ubuntu can't seem to figure out what else to do. Normally I would look for the running program in the bottom right corner and right click and select automatically connect when plugged into usb. However, I don't see easy tether application anywhere, just when I re-run the .deb package, it tells me it is already installed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Rich

Found this in the mobile-stream FAQ's.

14. How do I tether Ubuntu? I've installed EasyTether and the drivers, but I cannot find the app file anywhere in Ubuntu.

Open Terminal and run "easytether enumerate", then "easytether connect". Once it says the connection is established, do not stop the running "easytether connect", open another Terminal and run "sudo dhclient easytether0".
And if your smartphone offers you the choice to select USB mode, make sure you do not select "Broadband Connect" or "Internet sharing".

I am rooted and use Wireless Tether, but I love to solve Ubuntu problems, so I installed this and figured it out for you. You have to know your root password for ubuntu, if you have never set it, I can tell you how, it's real easy.

screenshot.jpg

Upvote 0
Cool. Thank you for this. Will try it out tonight and see if I can get it working. Pretty good with XP and Vista but wanted to try and learn linux. I can already see there is going to be a learning curve. Hopefully it will not take too long to figure it all out. Was also trying to get it to connect to my linksys router.. but that is a whole different user issue and forum.. :)

Upvote 0
Jeremy.. you the man.. Thanks you. I would have never figured it out on my own. I am posting this using easy tether and ubuntu. Now if I could only get the wireless connections to cooperate.. :) I guess it is time to join a ubuntu forum :) Thank you again Jeremy. I really appreciate your help.

Rich

Upvote 0
NP man, glad to help..and now I know how to use it too :) I am actually thinking about buying a copy. It uses a lot less power than Wireless tethering, and I don't have to worry about the USB port not sourcing enough current to keep up with the demand.

About your wireless issues, start with the basics, make sure your card is fully compatible.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

Upvote 0
Using Easy Tether with Ubuntu 10.04 and an Android smartphone:

I've been using Easy Tether with Ubuntu 10.04 and the Android based HTC Evo 4G. It works great once you get it set up properly. To use with an Android phone you will need to download the client for their Android phone via Android Market and then install the drivers onto the PC.

See below for several threads that have instructions on how to do this:

[all variants] T-Mobile (US) Samsung Vibrant flawless tethering - Ubuntu Forums

T-Mobile (US) Samsung Vibrant flawless tethering

Ended up setting up the EasyTether and it works with Ubuntu. One just needs to download the client for their Android phone via Android Market and then install the drivers onto the PC.

Drivers: Download EasyTether drivers

How to get it working with Ubuntu:

Code:
Step 1: Download the drivers at Download EasyTether drivers
Step 1.5: Install said drivers. duh

Step 2: plug your android device into your laptop

Step 3: run easytether and ensure USB is checked.

Step 4: open up terminal and type "easytether enumerate" without the quotes. Then your devices id number will appear.

Step 5: type "sudo easytether connect #########" without quotes. Replace #s with serial num. This will bring up another command.

Step 6: open up another terminal window. THE OTHER ONE HAS TO STAY OPEN. type in "sudo dhclient easytether0" without quotes into the new window. This will configure your phone and signal.

Step 7: Enjoy. When you are done press CTRL+C in the original window to disconnect
Walkthrough source: http://thebarbee.blogspot.com/2010/0...ntu-style.html

NOTE: I'm not networked on my laptop, just a single user. I found no need to use the ennumerate routine and simply skip ahead to sudo easytether connect and follow the remaining instructions from there.

Upvote 0
Thanks folks. I had the hardest time and these instructions did the trick. But, I've heard that some of these tethering applications don't work with https:// urls without a proxy, or something?? I can go to most sites fine, but can't log-in anywhere!! If anyone is still reading this thread, please reply.

EasyTether and Ubuntu 10.04 and Firefox and DroidX, cannot login to Google, Yahoo, other sites.

Mark

Upvote 0
Thanks folks. I had the hardest time and these instructions did the trick. But, I've heard that some of these tethering applications don't work with https:// urls without a proxy, or something?? I can go to most sites fine, but can't log-in anywhere!! If anyone is still reading this thread, please reply.

EasyTether and Ubuntu 10.04 and Firefox and DroidX, cannot login to Google, Yahoo, other sites.

Mark

Mark, I can't help you with a proxy, but I can tell you that you are correct in the fact that the 'lite' version of easy tether will not allow you to access secure web pages, hence why you cant log in to sites, the login pages are typically secure, which is a good thing.

If you're not willing to root and tether wirelessly, I would say, pony up the 10 bucks for the full app, you'll probably be glad you did.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones