• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Easy Tether not working on 2.1

Had a similar issue. What I found consistently solved the problem (after much trial and error to validate) was to make sure that the default action settings for what happened when the usb is plugged in is either "charge only" or "disk drive". Then, if usb debugging isn't already on, turn it on. Easytether should work o.k. If it doesn't, uncheck "usb debugging" under the settings->application->development tab and re-check it. There was no separate "sync" option in 1.5/1.6 so I think that might having something to do with it. Probably easytether or driver related.

Upvote 0
Thank you jasonsimms. I've been trying for several days and many hours trying to tether via usb to my laptop for those rare times I might need to use my phone as a modem. Used to use PDANet for my MotoQ with no problems. Couldn't even download the new droid version.

Tried Easytether and got it downloaded and it would start but get dropped almost immediately. Followed your advice (using "disk drive" for the usb connection) and it finally worked! I was ready to root but was scared to do so and this is the only thing that was an issue for me. Not paying $30 a month for the few times a year I'd need to tether to my laptop.

After all of the attempts I've made and all the reading I've done, I'm more drained than my Evo's battery and I'll have to try it again tomorrow to make sure it really does work and I'm not asleep in my chair dreaming.

Upvote 0
Having same issues here. It will work for me as long as I am not doing any kind of heavy downloading but browsing seems to work fine. Anyways me and my wife both have the same phones and she has never updated her Hero to Android 2.1 and it works like a charm on hers, also she has never updated the easy tether program on her laptop or phone. So it is either Android 2.1 or Easy Tether it's self. I emailed Mobi hand about the problem if I hear anything will post it here. Oh the setting it to disk drive it didnt work.

Upvote 0
works great. used it all day tethered to my laptop. very high speeds on 4G...and was on phone talking most of the day as well. only problem is every 30 minutes of so it stops, so i disconnect and reconnect. then it works again flawlessly. i have no idea why it works for awhile perfect and then just goes out.
any ideas?
I don't know what "resolver" means in the easytether menu.

what a great program and 4G is amazing. I consistently get 4-5Mpbs downloads. I skype video'd today as well. it was about 80% of what my DSL broadband gave me in video quality. I am working on making it better. will keep trying.

Upvote 0
Having same issues here. It will work for me as long as I am not doing any kind of heavy downloading but browsing seems to work fine. Anyways me and my wife both have the same phones and she has never updated her Hero to Android 2.1 and it works like a charm on hers, also she has never updated the easy tether program on her laptop or phone. So it is either Android 2.1 or Easy Tether it's self. I emailed Mobi hand about the problem if I hear anything will post it here. Oh the setting it to disk drive it didnt work.

So far nothing has changed looks like might go back to the earlier version of the OS. My wifes phone works fine on either version of Easy Tether so it seems to me the OS is the culprit. Uninstalled and reinstalled Easy Tether as well and same problem. Any other ideas??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones