• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help easy uninstallation of apps?

With my Gnex I could long press an app icon and choose uninstall. Doesn't seem to work with the N5. Is there a shortcut I'm not aware of (other than going into settings, apps, searching for the app, clicking on it, then uninstalling)?

I think that may be launcher dependent. Nova has that. I'm not sure GEL does.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
go into the app drawer, then long press on the app you want to uninstall, then in the top left corner of the screen it should say "uninstall". Drag the app over to where it says "uninstall", and voila, the app is uninstalled.
that didn't work (nothing that said uninstall came up in the corner) but I can go into the app drawer, long press, drag to the top where it says app info, and then uninstall from there.
I think that may be launcher dependent. Nova has that. I'm not sure GEL does.
On my Gnex I do use Nova Launcher but didn't realize that was what made it easy to uninstall. So that must be the difference. I wasn't planning to install a launcher on the new phone but now I am. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
I only see the app info button when it's a system app. Is that appearing for non-system apps?
Actually I did test it on a system app. But when I just now tested it on a downloaded app the "uninstall" did appear in the corner, along with "app info" in the other corner.

So now I don't *need* Nova launcher. I can't even remember the advantage of a launcher now...

Upvote 0
So now I don't *need* Nova launcher. I can't even remember the advantage of a launcher now...

Basically, customizability. If you are someone who really wants things your way. I like a really full featured launcher even if I only use 5 or 10 of those features. In my old Palm days, it was Zlauncher.

So, no, you never *need* a launcher... ;)

Upvote 0
I think I wanted different icons. Anyway i'm going to download it. I'm so used to it I keep trying to do things that apparently require nova launcher.

I don't even have a sim card yet so at this point I'm playing. My old sim is too big for this phone and I haven't decided yet if I should cut it down or use a new one. I ordered a new one (I'd hate to cut this one and then screw it up with no backup) but it's not here yet.

Upvote 0
No, you can do it on GEL. I even have a screen shot of it...

6nxbtv.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones