1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General EasyTether stopped working after Verizon update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mojavejoe, Oct 20, 2012.

1. mojavejoe

mojavejoe Lurker
    None

Jul 21, 2012
    My EasyTether software stopped working after the latest Verizon software update. I just allowed my phone to finally do the update a week ago. Today I tried to run EasyTether again (last time in June) but it would not work. No matter what I tried, I could not even get the "Connect via Android" option on its menu at the taskbar. Instead it says "no device connected".

I also noticed that when connecting my phone via usb it now has a D: drive and a Motocast option (I have declined to install it so far).

Before the Verizon update it only detected drives E: & F: (my Razr Maxx memory). Now I have drives D:, E: & G:

I have heard that Verizon has now cracked down on tethering with this latest software update. Is this true or do I simply have a device detection issue?

Any and all advice and experiences welcome.
    Joe
    P.S. If free tethering is gone, what are my options now?

Advertisement

2. cbreze

cbreze Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Have you tried to just reinstall the tether app? Also, if that fails you could try foxfi. I hear a lot of folks use that with good success. Or just root your phone and use SQLite to hack the built in hotspot, which is what I have found to be excellent.

3. MasterGadgets

MasterGadgets Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2012
    BORING
    Pensacola, FL
    +1 for Foxfi, also you might try a factory reset. There are many problems caused after the ICS update that are cured by a factory reset.

Sharondippity likes this.
  4. bhoge2000

bhoge2000 Lurker
    None

Nov 2, 2012
    I encountered the same Bluetooth tethering problem with my Droid Razr Maxx HD. I think Verizon has found a way to effectively block the tether of data devices via Bluetooth. When I suddenly couldn't connect my phone to my tablet, I went to the Verizon store and tried to tether store phones to my phone and against each other. None of them worked.

Fortunately I opted for the Grandfathered unlimited data plan as opposed to a new contract and a ripoff tiered plan, so I will probably be dumping Verizon at my earliest convenience.

5. seVer

seVer Android Expert

May 1, 2010
    Unknown. Previous VZW Tech Support for 7 years.
    foxfi is glitchy for me. sometimes it works flawlessly, other times my data signal disappears, and yet still other times my overall signal disappears. and I can only recover with a restart of the phone.

dont get me wrong - it works. maybe it's just my phone?

6. owlsbrat

owlsbrat Newbie
    None

Jul 12, 2012
    Easy tether works finr on my razr maxx. Not sure why yours is not. I also see 3 drive letters when plugged into a pc. Make usb debugging is enabled in phone and anytime theres an update you should uninstall and reinstall in both pc and phone. Good luck!

7. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

Mar 9, 2012
    Male
    Reno, Nevada
    Have you flashed a different custom ROM since you last used easy tether if your a root user?

I had this similar problem with my 3vo and turned out to be a bug in the ROM.

Sent From My Paranoid Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2