1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root EB01 installation question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cartman311, Feb 21, 2011.

1. cartman311

cartman311 Newbie

I was thinking of rooting my phone and putting android 2.2 EB01 on it and I had a couple of questions before I load it on. I have found a lot of very helpful posts between this forum and others that have instructions and explanations on how to install EB01 but I wanted to make sure I understand everything before I go forward since I am getting tired of waiting for Samsung and verizon to release the official 2.2 build. For reference I am coming from stock EA28.

1)What is the difference between a Rom, modem, radio, and kernel? And are they all needed to get EB01 working?

2)When I load EB01 will I loose all my apps that I have loaded and will I loose all my settings in android menus. i.e. will the setting all be defaulted? If so is there a way to save them so when I load EB01 I can return the setting to what they were before?

3)After I have rooted and installed CWM I would want to make a NAND backup. Will this backup return my phone to its saved state when the NAND was made if I don

Advertisement

2. selvikin

selvikin Member

OK, I'm coming from rooting with an Eris and a D1, so here's a bit of info I picked up.
    a. For Roms and Kernels: http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/162678-beginners-guide-roms.html
    b. Radio/Baseband/Modem (all the same thing, I'm pretty sure): What is Baseband - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

2. If you're going from 2.1 to 2.2, then yes. Assuming you have root already, download Titanium Backup, and open it, and hit menu > Batch > Backup all user apps + system data. You can look at Project Elite for some good install info, just read the first 2 bullets.

3. I can't give an exact answer to this, but if all goes well, then probably yeah?

Hope this helps.

3. nklenchik

nklenchik Android Enthusiast

3. Do a nandroid backup of 2.1, then flash preferably the Super Clean ROM by JT. The new CWR is included with it. If you ever have to get back to 2.1 for whatever reason, you'd need to flash a 2.1 ROM and then do that nandroid backup to get you back to where you were.

selvikin likes this.
  4. cartman311

cartman311 Newbie

Thanks for the replies. The links are very helpful. I have been doing some research and I think I have answered most of my questions above.

1.I need the radio/basebane/modem, kernel and rom to go from 2.1 to 2.2. I have found a nice link that explains how to do this. [EB01 WALKTHROUGHS] Rooting, Clockwork, Voodoo, Stock and Custom ROM, Battery, etc

2.This one is a little gray. Some people say that you shouldn’t restore your android settings with titanium backup when going from 2.1 to 2.2 just the apps. It creates unwanted force closes. Not sure which way to go on this one. The link listed above is nice but I’m not sure if this is only for using the same version of android and not for going between 2.1 to 2.2.

3.The NAND backup in CWM only backs up the rom and does not backup the kernel or the modem. So the only reason I can think of to do a NAND backup before installing 2.2 is so if I every go back to 2.1 I can then use the backup to restore everything. The only way that I have found to get back to 2.1 after rooting and loading EB01 is to go back to stock. I have found some good links for this as well.

Odin Restore files to get you to stock
    Restore your rooted soft bricked phone back to stock condition

The last thing I haven’t figured out yet is the voodoo kernel or modified kernel(under voltage). If I load a modified kernel do I have to go back to stock to remove it or will just flashing another kernel remove it? I think there is more to it then just flashing a new kernel but I just don’t know what. Hopefully some can help me out with that because once 2.2 get released and we get some under voltage kernels I would like to try them. Again thanks for all the help and please let me know if the information I have found is correct or if I’m off in left field some where.

5. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Android Expert

Any kernel you flash just goes over the old one. There were times back in december if I'm thinking right that some of us were actually flashing different kernels multiple times every day just to see what was the best.