1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

eBook Reader Problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lobalobo, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Active Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Although I have read the threads on using Android devices as an eBook reader, I am unable to get a clear picture of what's available. I generally buy eBooks from Sony's store, which at least sometimes delivers epub files. These must be encoded as restricted though, because neither of the two eReaders I installed on my NexusOne would recognize the Sony files (though they worked on free books available). So I wonder whether there is any reader I can install that will allow me to view purchased books from Sony; I'm not trying to pirate anything here, as I've paid for the books, just frustrated that I can't read them on Nexus One. Maybe the answer is to stop buying from Sony and purchase from Barns & Noble instead, which appears to have an Android reader available for download, but I'm not sure whether that will work even on B&N books, and I'd like to stick with Sony. Any suggestions are welcome.

Advertisement

2. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I don't know of any epub readers that will handle DRM yet, but on the following Nook "compare with Kindle" link, check out the "LendMe" bit;

Nook Help and FAQs, eBook Reader, eBook Device - Barnes*&*Noble

Says there that in early 2010 you'll be able to "lend" books to Android-based phones, and there's already an iphone reader for their books so hopefully that'll mean an android-based reader is on the way.

Problem is of course if it's not a standard format (they say no other e-reader can handle their books, and they say that like it's a good thing) then I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, there's nothing quite as bad as vendor tie-in.

Tags: