1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

eBooks not showing up in Kindle App.

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by theody, Oct 6, 2011.

1. theody

theody Lurker
    None

Oct 6, 2011
    I downloaded some eBooks through a torrent and they are .PRC files. I unzipped them onto my computer then dragged the books into my Kindle App on my Galaxy S2 in the Kindle folder, and after syncing, the books aren't in my library. What am I doing wrong here?

Note : This is my first smart phone and my first encounter with applications so I'm a total newbie.

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    This eBooks may have the Kindle DRM ;)

Install the free CoolReader. If this books are free Kindle eBooks, CoolReader will able to read them :)

Harry

3. oleb84

oleb84 Android Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2011
    Male
    London
    As above really, i wouldnt use the Kindle app if i were you as it only seems to read Kindle purchased ebooks.

I personally use Aldiko to read all my .epub files, its free and user friendly.

4. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    Aldiko won't import my books. I've been using FB reader so I know where I left off.

I had a Nook, and that read everything on the card. But the Nook app seems to be like the Kindle one - only books sold by the maker. Which is useless as I have 2 independent magazines that have or will have electronic publishing.

5. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    Are these public domain ebooks? If so, you can likely obtain them in a variety of formats from other sources (such as Project Gutenberg, or Smashwords), and maybe one of those will work better. If they're pirated, try purchasing them from a legitimate source. I don't think assisting with accessing pirated material would be in accordance with forum policies.

6. Darkseas

Darkseas Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    Kindle devices and apps read books in the .mobi format. As another poster noted, these are available at Project Gutenberg and elsewhere.

To the best of my knowledge, .AZW files are the only native Kindle files and are only available from Amazon.

.PRC files are from the old days of Palm handhelds. Any device that reads mobi is supposed to read prc. But the OP did say that he downloaded the files from a torrent, so who knows what he actually got.

7. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    There's a site called Creative Commons and a few others like it. The authors hope to get a following by publishing a book for free. There are some legitimate sites that only publish in certain formats. I've seen HTML, PRC, PDF only.

I've found one author I enjoy, and I would buy the sequels to what he has already published free.

BTW- Cory Doctorow seem to publish a lot on Creative sites.

8. Runesai

Runesai Newbie
    None

Oct 14, 2011
    I'm wondering if a file converter like hampstersoft's free ebook converter, might work? I use their video converter for making smaller sized videos for my handhelds. It's another step, I know, but once converted it should be readable by any of the supported readers.