• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ebooks on the Acer a500

ErIndoorz

Feb 5, 2011
Hi all
I've just bought a couple of ebooks for my tablet from WHSmith and downloaded Overdrive Media Console that WHSmiths said I'd need to read them but cant seem to get them to work.

I've downloaded the books from my email (about 4 times now) and STILL cant get it to work.

I'm very new to all this and a female :)D) so need help please!

Thanks

First you need to fine out what format the books are in. There are many types of formats as follows: You can right click on the book and select properties to see the format. And then you will be able to find a free reader for it. Also if your having a hard loading onto your Tablet and finding them you should get the file manager called es file explorer.If you need more help dont hesitate to ask.

Doc
(aka "PalmDOC") DOC, or Doc, is a generic name for a type of text document format usable by nearly all PDA platforms. Note that this format is not the same as the .doc filename extension usually given to Microsoft Word document files. These files will have a ".pdb" filename extension. Doc files can be read by a variety of readers, including eReader, iSilo, CSpotRun, TiBR, WeaselReader, TealDoc, and many more.

ePub
An open standard defined by the Open eBook Forum of the International Digital Publishing Forum. It is based on XHTML and XML.

eReader
previously known as Palm Reader Originally created by Peanut Press, this format can be read on many devices, including cellphones (BlackBerry, iPhone), Palm devices, and desktop computers (Mac and PC). There is some extended formatting and reasonable compression.
iLiad PDF A document formatted with margins, font-sizes, and images tailored to the iRex iLiad.

iPod Notes
Large text files can be split into multiple, linked "Notes" which can be read on Apple's iPod. Requires an iPod Mini or 3rd Generation or later iPod. To create your own Notes, please visit Daniel Duris' iPod ebook Creator.

iSilo
Silo has a couple of advantages over the DOC format, such as higher compression rates (which saves precious RAM) and extended formatting (such as bold, italics, horizontal dividers, and hyperlinks). iSiloX files are slightly more advanced, and include chapter bookmarks and graphics (when available), but require iSilo version 3.1 or better. Mobipocket/Kindle A proprietary format with support for many platforms - see mobipocket.com for details. The Kindle format is essentially the same thing, but limited to Kindle devices or Kindle software.

PDF
and Large Print PDF A file format created by Adobe, initially to provide a standard form for storing and editing printeable documents. Documents in .pdf format can be seen and printed by users on a variety of computer and platform types. To view files of this type, download the Adobe Acrobat Reader, available at Adobe's Web site.

Plucker
Plucker is an extended text-and-graphics document format for handhelds. It can be used for both local and remote (e.g., Internet) files. Plucker will display extended formatting and graphics, is free, and open source. Palm, PocketPC, and Nokia 770 compatible.

Sony
aka Libri

Upvote 0
Hi all
I've just bought a couple of ebooks for my tablet from WHSmith and downloaded Overdrive Media Console that WHSmiths said I'd need to read them but cant seem to get them to work.

I've downloaded the books from my email (about 4 times now) and STILL cant get it to work.

I'm very new to all this and a female :)D) so need help please!

Thanks

Since you are dealing with WHSmith have you tried going into one of their stores and asking for help? Take your tablet with you and have them show you what to do. I'm assuming that you you are in England and WH Smith still has brick and mortar stores. It's been several years since I've been over there but I remember their stores seemed to be almost evey where. Otherwise you may need to have someone help you convert the books into a format that the built-in readers can handle. There are several good free ones available.

Good luck

Upvote 0
The page mentioned by "agent00" says that " only books purchased from within the app will show up to be read using the app"

I reread your post. Look in your download folder. Your books should be there. Long press on the file and a window will open asking what app you you want to use to open the file. Choose one of the suggested ones and it should open. I noticed that most ebooks available from whsmith will be either be PDF or ePub. Both are handled by LumiRead.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones