• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Echo reviews are coming in.

viber

Android Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2011
I agree, I too made fun of the silly dual screen phone, then my store manager told me that I was the advocate for the phone I laughed cause I though that he was kidding and no he wasn't. Now that I have been playing with it every day, I have to say that I am impressed with the performance, sound, blue tooth and the build quality it feel strong and well build. I keep looking for reasons not to get the phone or even sell it and I can't find one, even if no developer picked up the device for app development or it didn't get a decent amount of applications able to use the Simul-Task or the dual screen it would still be an awesome phone to have, not to mention that so far only two bugs have been reported and both are easy to correct. The only thing that I have had issues adjusting to is the keyboard and that's easily fix with better keyboard from the market. My current phone is the Epic 4G, while I give a break to my Evo and I have to say I can't wait till I can get it on my line.

Upvote 0
I got mine Sunday morning, have played with it for a day and a half, and like it a lot. I have already gotten into the habit of plugging in when I'm not using it, but that wasn't that hard since I had a Palm Pre before. It's been easy to get used to and set up although definitely heavier than I'm used to. Even in tablet mode works very fast on 3G. No complaints so far, pretty happy!

Upvote 0
I got to use one for like 30 minutes yesterday.

It's a good phone, no better or worse than a Shift or Epic, minus 4G. You get a ton of visual real estate.

It ran smooth. Rather, about as smooth as android gets, because android always seems sluggish compared to iOS, WebOS and WP7. Also, it almost seems like pure Google, which is a good thing.

The full screen keyboard when texting is damn cool, which alone makes the Echo a good competitor for phones with a QWERTY like the Shift, Epic and Arrive, only the extra bulk gets you a whole additional screen to do your business, which I promise, you will get spoiled by over time.

The seam between screens goes unnoticed after a few minutes of use. I didn't run any benchmarks.

Overall, there is nothing wrong with this phone, at all. I like it and give it a 7.5/10, with the only real downer being no 4G

Upvote 0
The concept is nice, but the built is fragile....maybe it's a Kyocera thing ;). But from examining it, I'd say that it will not tolerate a drop from waist high on to concrete.....something will give Hinge or lcd (of course). And I will say that mechanical problems will start to creep in around the 4 month of usage.

Upvote 0
The concept is nice, but the built is fragile....maybe it's a Kyocera thing ;). But from examining it, I'd say that it will not tolerate a drop from waist high on to concrete.....something will give Hinge or lcd (of course). And I will say that mechanical problems will start to creep in around the 4 month of usage.

I don't know... I think it is very well build specially taking under consideration that I dropped mine from the roof of my car, it landed about 8 feet away after bouncing a few times on the corners, the battery cover and the battery flew away yet the only damage was scratched corners and nor the screens or the hinge gave way, I was very surprised everything else is ok and I still remember that when I dropped my Evo from about two feet (dentist chair fell from my cargo pants pocket) and the screen cracked even though it was protected by an Otter Commuter case. I see issues showing but it would be if the phone spends more time on the floor than any where else other than that I feel very positive about it. Then again we would have to wait and see!

Upvote 0

Fragile? These things feel like tanks, and the hinge is pretty beefy.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

Tossing, dropping and banging a Kyocera Echo

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones