1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Edge lighting not working after recent update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by behrprofl, Jan 3, 2020.

1. behrprofl

behrprofl Member

Note 10+ on Verizon. Just got the new update yesterday.

Edge lighting doesnt work anymore. The screen wakes up and goes straight to the A.O.D. screen and shows the icon of the app on the AOD. But no edge lighting...

Also, before, notifications would wake the screen and skip the A.O.D. Now it's not doing that either... I've looked through all the settings and cant find out how to fix this.

2. marctronixx

if you have checked all possible options/settings, reset the apps cache and phone cache, its possible the app is not yet updated for Android 10. give it some time. there are other random apps that are not yet compatible with Android 10.

3. behrprofl

behrprofl Member

does this count for system apps too?

4. marctronixx

i actually forgot about edge lighting until I saw your post, then I went to look to see if I had it enabled. I did but it was on the hole punch and not the outside screen.

so I changed the animation to fireworks and its working for me . since my last correspondence here, i've had several whatsapp notifications, as well as my digits (tmobile) app , outlook. im tmo unlocked and I think im on the public release of UI (i did have the beta)? :thinking:

so seems its working. maybe cache clear your phone and maybe force close the edge app and then re test? could be an issue with verizon's firmware build. will wait to hear from other verizon users on their feedback...

The_Chief and JAy3001 like this.
  5. behrprofl

behrprofl Member

I have mine on fireworks.

i factory reset and still nothing. It seems to be only certain apps like verizon messages. Snapchat the edge lighting works.
    But still verizon messages used to wake the screen off the AOD and go to the lock screen. It's extremely annoying that it doesnt do this anymore. Is there a setting that makes notifications go straight to the lock screen or something? I hate that I get a text and it just shows the icon on the AOD screen then I have to manually wake the phone.

marctronixx likes this.
  6. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Ah, how did you get edge lighting on your hole punch @marctronixx ? I was hoping this was going to enable with android 10 on my S10+ but sadly it still seems like it's not an option that I can see.

marctronixx likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

System apps typically vet updated the sametike android 20 is released most of the time their already exsisted to support android 10

But i sidnt notice that too on aprint

8. marctronixx

@JAy3001 ,

its called "black hole". i just went back to it and it did nothing from what i could see, so maybe that's why i forgot about edge lighting because I stopped seeing it and forgot about it. :rolleyes:

i could have sworn, though, that when i got the note 10 on launch day, i set that up and the notification was around the hole punch, because if it wasnt i would not have set it to that. odd...

9. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Thanks, was this a downloaded app @marctronixx as I cannot seem to see any reference to it or was it in the edge settings on your phone?

I know you can use 3rd party apps to get this function working, however their permission requests are crazy.

marctronixx likes this.
  10. marctronixx

no just the standard edge panel app. there is an "enhanced" version of edge panel in the samsung store that i have used but for what I am talking about its the built in app. :)

11. iris1513

iris1513 Lurker

Hello Fellow Android users. I also updated my newly purchased Note 10+ from AT&T and noticed I don't have the new features that are expected to have come with new update like the heart effect on Edge lighting. I still have the generic original ones. I'm nre to Android coming from iPhone so feeling like a fish out water learning to use it through millions of YouTube videos 😕

12. olbriar

olbriar  

Welcome to Android Forums, welcome to Android, and welcome to the Note 10. I'm not new to Android but I'm the new kid on the block with my Note 10. Make certain your phone is truly on Android 10. Navigate to the edge sittings Settings-Display-Edge screen-Edge lighting-Lighting style. Your options should then be displayed. Be advised that you can scroll left and right to access all available options. Heart lighting is on the far left of the options. Good luck and again welcome aboard.

13. notableuser

notableuser Well-Known Member

Make sure all apps selected in edge lighting and my helper app which will light up any app screen on or off is glimpse notification and you can then set any style edge animation you want. Using it a year,many devices. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.nullgrad.glimpse&hl=en_US
    ITS a helper app.
    don't doubt til you try it out.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 10 release date was August 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.3" inch screen, 12MP camera, 8GB RAM, Exynos 9825 processor, and 3500mAh battery.

August 2019
Release Date
Reviews