1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Edge lighting not working with some apps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TrueFangz, Sep 14, 2017.

1. TrueFangz

TrueFangz Android Enthusiast

My edge lighting only seems to work for text message notifications. Within the edge settings, I have it set to "On", and to show the edge lighting "Always"

Under "Manage Notifications" within the Edge settings, I have the following items checked:
    • Hangouts
    • Email
    • Gmail
    Under "Advanced Settings" within the Edge settings, I have it set to a custom color, which is bright blue. I have it set to max width, and lowest transparency.

Works great with texts, but not with anything else listed above. All apps are stock, and I see nothing in those apps individually that would seem to prevent the edge lighting from working. They all have notifications enabled with sound, vibration and LED.

Think this is a bug, or am I missing something else somewhere?

2. michalkolcun

michalkolcun Lurker

I ran to the same problem..I think its overall problem..and they need to fix it with update..this EDGE lighting is nice feature. And it works for me with phone calls...blink green ..and with Facebook ..not messenger..blinks blue color..when my phone is on and on diferent app..

anyone found out more??

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

I have edge lighting turned on... I have yet to see it!

marctronixx and major2112 like this.
  4. major2112

major2112 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried this feature yet since it was introduced because I use wallet cases and wear the gear S3 watch that alerts me. Maybe I'll try it just to see what the visual is like.;)

TrueFangz likes this.
  5. marctronixx

When i get texts, or anything i want to notified of, the edge leds animate. Looks cool...

6. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Android Expert

Same here. Turned everything on in notification, settings, advanced settings... everything I can find on it and... nothing. I can hit preview and see it, but that's the extent of experience with it. It never worked for me. :(

The_Chief and marctronixx like this.
  7. TrueFangz

TrueFangz Android Enthusiast

Since my original post, I did notice last night that it does also work with my calendar reminders. So that and texts, but still can't get it to work with email and gmail and hangouts. Bummer.

major2112 likes this.
  8. michalkolcun

michalkolcun Lurker

it works with text msg. Facebook. Alo messenger and calls....no emails..I don't understand why

9. Why does my edge lighting only work for text messaging?

marctronixx likes this.
  10. marctronixx

because that's how you set it up. :p

what apps are you wanting to use with the edge lighting gimmick? its possible they are 3rd party apps? some of them may not work with edge lighting.

11. Facebook emails and phone

marctronixx likes this.
  12. marctronixx

ok facebook emails mean you use an email app.

do you use the samsung email app? or 3rd party?

13. Gmail, is that a third party app

marctronixx likes this.
  14. marctronixx

yes it is. its not stock samsung.

do you have the stock samsung email setup? if not, setup the stock samsung email and then test.

edge lighting is designed to work with lots of apps.

i take it you have looked into the edge lighting settings and adjusted them to work with the apps you choose?

15. Yes I have. Unless I'm missing something. I tried it with phone calls but it wont work with that either.

Yes I also have the samsung stock email still do t work

marctronixx likes this.
  16. marctronixx

needed to ask dumb questions to make sure we are on the same page.

there has been an issue with edge lighting not working properly on the S8 as well as the note 8.

from my reading its due to screen and wakelock permissions required to access this gimmick to work.

looks like an issue with samsung hardware that may be remedied through some updates, but that's speculation on my part.

FWIW, only the edge lighting works for me when i get a text. i use textra. i use outlook for email and dont see the edge lighting for it.

you are not the only one, and I think you are doing everything in your power to make sure all the setting are correct.

recommend to reach out to samsung to voice your issues with it not working.

EDIT

so I did some testing. when i turn the phone over screen down and call the phone, the edge lighting works. if the phone is face up it won't work.

i sent an email to the phone with it screen down and no edge effects.

did you test with "do not disturb" enabled vs disabled?

in the end, it just seems this is a samsung issue and or nougat issue. I also just now did a cursory search on the interweb and many other note 8 users are experiencing this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 release date was September 2017. Features and Specs include a 6.3" inch screen, 12MP camera, 6GB RAM, Exynos 8895 processor, and 3300mAh battery.

September 2017
Release Date
Reviews