1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support EDGE on G2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by moosedude55, Oct 4, 2010.

1. moosedude55

moosedude55 Lurker

Oct 4, 2010
    First time poster here, also first time android user:

Just wondering how I can make EDGE work on my G2. If I root it, will EDGE work on it? Right now edge doesn't work, I tried playing with the APN settings too. It didn't work.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. moosedude55

moosedude55 Lurker

Oct 4, 2010
    First time poster here, also first time android user:

Just wondering how I can make EDGE work on my G2. If I root it, will EDGE work on it? Right now edge doesn't work, I tried playing with the APN settings too. It didn't work.

Thanks!

3. Howie

Howie Android Expert

Oct 28, 2009
    IT
    Central NY
    EDGE will work when it doesn't pick up 3G/HSDPA signal

4. blkidea

blkidea Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Critic
    LA County
    Edge is working on mine when HSPA is not available. I do not think you need to root.

5. moosedude55

moosedude55 Lurker

Oct 4, 2010
    I should have been more specific with my post. I don't have the android data plan. I previously had just the $9.99 webtogo EDGE on all my other non smart phones. It was working great when I popped my sim in at first, but I think T-mobile disabled it the next day. I don't want to pay for the Android Data just yet. So I'm trying to get just EDGE working.

6. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    California
    Settings> wireless & networks> mobile networks> use only 2G networks.

That what you're looking for?

7. moosedude55

moosedude55 Lurker

Oct 4, 2010
    I tried that too, but it didn't work. I'm 100% sure t-mobile deactivated it for me and is trying to make me buy the required data plan. I will just wait for the root.

8. SUPERGALAXYS

SUPERGALAXYS Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2010
    should be able to just hit use 2g networks only, mine will run off edge all day if i select it.. maybe try unselecting data enabled.. are you using the new sim that came with the g2? possibly it has something to do with the new sim or running a older sim in this newer phone??

9. fryrice

fryrice Newbie

Oct 7, 2010
    thats because u need require android data web in order for it to work. It is a different data soc and your data will not work unless you have the android web. There is no way around it now.

So upgrade your $10 mobile web to the $25 android web.

10. ponickka

ponickka Newbie

Oct 4, 2010
    can you use the G2 just as a phone and wifi then? I don't mind cancelling the $10 mobile plan, but i don't want to pay $30 for it.

11. fryrice

fryrice Newbie

Oct 7, 2010
    yup u can use the wifi and as a phone. idk if u want it just as a phone and wifi....kinda defeats the purpose of a mobile device. its like ppl who get iphones and use it as a phone. but half the apps on there requires some kind of data.

but hey its ur call...ur gonna be paying a lot for it because tmobile dnt sell the phone without data unless u buy it full price.

do you already have the phone?

12. konoplya

konoplya Lurker

May 30, 2010
    so you wouldnt be able to use the $10 data plan like you could on the Nexus 1?

13. moosedude55

moosedude55 Lurker

Oct 4, 2010
    That is what I'm trying to figure out.

14. famished

famished Well-Known Member

As far as I know, you can't use any T-mobile branded and supported android devices on t-zones/unlimited web. You'd need a device they don't push - like a nexus one, a behold 2 (the throw-away device everyone compains about that actually has this feature as one major benefit) or any Nokia phone. The supported devices are blocked by IMEI.

Tags: