• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EDGE service compatibility

Edge works on Vibrant. It is capable to class 12 but I don't think T-Mobile allows that since it would consume too much of their limited GSM 1900 MHz PCS bandwidth. The data rate will be 75kbps to 125kbps typically. When you are out of 3G coverage in a given area you revert to Edge data. You have to log onto My Tmobile and change the phone type in their records to a GSM data phone that TMobile offers (a refurbished 'Dash' will work). You can then add that line to share the unlimited data plan for additional $20 (over the $5 additional for shared voice and unlimited text). Put any phone you want on that SIM card phone number your like.

Unlimited data requires 3G subscription, but nothing stops someone from putting a GSM data phone on the T-Mobile network with a 3G unlimited data plan.

Any unlocked iPhones put on T-Mobile network are GSM Edge capable only, since iPhone does not have 1700 MHz WCDMA band capability. This band is necessary to get 3G service on T-Mobile U.S. All T-Mobiles 1900 MHz PCS band resources are GSM only.

Upvote 0
tmobile checks the IMEI number, so you can't use the edge network. at least that was the case last time i checked, which was a few months ago.

people have reported that the phone worked for about 2 hours until tmobile's network automatically finds out that you're on a vibrant.

a solution for you is to trade for the captivate and then use tmobile's edge network.

Upvote 0
tmobile checks the IMEI number, so you can't use the edge network. at least that was the case last time i checked, which was a few months ago.

people have reported that the phone worked for about 2 hours until tmobile's network automatically finds out that you're on a vibrant.

a solution for you is to trade for the captivate and then use tmobile's edge network.

Mine works fine on Edge. If you are not in 3G coverage it is the only option.

My daughter has an unlocked iPhone which only runs on Edge because iPhone has no 1700 WCDMA. She is on my unlimited data family plan (for $20/mo. adder)

Upvote 0
Vibrant works on att and tmo edge and 3g or mine does perfect bionix v
Mine is unlocked and I have a tmo unlim data plan but my wife has att and I can put her sim in my phone and it works perfect edge and 3g ..

well this is news to me then. i didn't know that the vibrant works on tmobile's edge network.. what everyone has been saying is that it only lasts a few hours until tmobile finds out your phones IMEI.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones