• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Edit default applications to open KML file?

Winfried

Oct 11, 2011
Hello

I was looking for an application that could not only download maps for offline use (so I can turn off roaming and avoid paying for data access while travelling), but also display a list of user-defined applications (created on a computer with eg. Google Maps).

MapsWithMe Pro is supposed to be able to open a KML file, but when opening the attachment in Gmail, I'm not given the choice of opening it with MapsWithMe: For some reason, it opens it with MoboPlayer, which handles audio/video files and obviously complains that it doesn't support KML fils. Google didn't help.

Does someone know how to reconfigure Android (4.2.1 on Galaxy Nexus) so that I'm prompted for which application to open KML files with?

Thank you.

Thanks. I need to open the KML file in either Google Maps or MapsWithMe Pro while in offline mode since roaming will be disabled while travelling.

Earth doesn't display maps, so can't use it. Google Maps doesn't display KML infos when using offline maps. MapsWithMe Pro won't let me open KML files.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones