1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

EDIT: Edit soft keys in system editor.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by icedice34, Apr 22, 2012.

1. icedice34

icedice34 Well-Known Member

I tried to post this on XDA but it says I can't post in a developers thread. I've got an idea for CleanRom, if it's not already included somewhere. I love the new ice scream sandwich recent apps list. It works fast and is cool. I never use the search key on my phone. Is it possible to change the softkeys so that if I push the search button it brings up the ICS recent apps list, and I hold it it does the search. It would be a lot faster if I had a dedicated button instead of having to hold the home button.

Does that make sense? If not CleanRom, does any ICS based rom have this feature? I love my Rezound over my brothers nexus, but I do love that he has a dedicated button for recent apps.

Thoughts? Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. icedice34

Alright,

I figured out this is a thing you can change in /system/usr/keylayout/atmel-touchscreen

however, the only thing I know to change it to is "APP_SWITCHER." Which brings up the old GB recent apps list. Anybody know what I can put in to bring up the GB search option?

Also, does anyone know where the "long press" option is located? If I could find that, I could find what is set to long press Home and switch that to search. I could also put long press search to regular search instead of voice search.

Thoughts?

scotty85 likes this.
  3. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

no idea where long press located,but the idea of switching softkeys arouns pretty outside the box,i like it :cool:

chknhwk likes this.
  4. icedice34

Another member of the Scott's Rom forums is trying to hunt down what changes when you use handcent to force the long press to change. Hopefully he has some luck. I'm not a huge techie, but dug through about ever folder within that directory and could find all keyboard layouts, but had no luck finding long press. I need to know what long press home is to change the search key to. I was able to get it to switch to GB recent apps, just not the cool new ICS recent. Hopefully he has some luck, otherwise more digging tomorrow...haha

scotty85 likes this.
  5. MaxxVE

MaxxVE Well-Known Member

I definitely like this idea. You could almost give yourself 4 additional shortcuts with the long-press that could be activated at any time on any screen/app.

I also don't find myself using the search button so changing it to something more useful would be great.

6. icedice34

Sadly, it doesn't appear anyone knows how to do this. I've gotten no response from XDA either...

scotty85 likes this.
  7. chknhwk

chknhwk Android Enthusiast

Keep looking, I think it's a great idea!

HTC Rezound Forum

The HTC Rezound release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1620mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews