• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Edit ROM apps?

Quick question, can you add / delete applications in a ROM or would it break something?

For example, if I downloaded fresh, extracted the zip, and deleted /system/app/HTCFacebook.apk then flashed the rom. Would this work or do I have the potential of breaking something bigger behind the scenes?

Thats a great point Mr. Ed. How can I delete these once they are on the phone. I thought that would be possible once I rooted my phone. Once in applications, the uninstall is grayed out, so how can it be done? Is there a tutorial on how to do this?

And for toasted, why would a rom dev add all these apps instead of letting the users install them themselves? Just curious?

Upvote 0
Thats a great point Mr. Ed. How can I delete these once they are on the phone. I thought that would be possible once I rooted my phone. Once in applications, the uninstall is grayed out, so how can it be done? Is there a tutorial on how to do this?

And for toasted, why would a rom dev add all these apps instead of letting the users install them themselves? Just curious?

they don't add all of them...they kind of pick and choose base off what users have told them they would still like to use.

once on the phone I used titanium backup and a list of "safe to remove" apks over at xda forums.

there are a few threads on it but they can be hard to find. pm me if you have issues and i can send you the link from home. don't have it with me at the moment .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones