1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Editing a config file as root

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ForScience, Dec 3, 2011.

1. ForScience

ForScience Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    I have a cheapo tablet, an Eken M009S, on which I'm running Uberoid 10.1. From previous attempts on an older version of Uberoid I know I need to modify a configuration file to get the wifi link to work; however, in the newest Uberoid version I'm unable to do so.

I start File Expert and it requests root access, which I grant; then I find the config file, tap it, and select to edit it using Ted. Ted, however, refuses to save.

I thought it was a permission problem, so I went in the terminal emulator, ran "su" (I have some Linux experience) and tried to edit the config file with vi, but it opened it as read-only. Then I tried chmodding the permissions, and chmod reported the whole filesystem is read-only.

I've no idea how this read-only filesystem weirdness actually works, but I must find some way of changing that config file. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    I havent used file expert in a while but is there an option to mount /system as rw? its normally ro. In es there's an option for that I know just right next to the one for root mode.

3. ForScience

ForScience Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    Where would I find this option? I don't know what you mean by "in es"...

4. adaaaam

adaaaam Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    Male
    San Francisco
    If you use Root Explorer instead, a big button labeled 'Mount as R/W' appears up top when browsing directories in which you dont have root access