1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Editing Contacts- Errrrr

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Vee, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Software
    Raleigh,NC
    So I put in a new contact yesterday, this person had the same area code as me so I didn't need to enter the area code to make a call to this person (which I did and it worked fine). Afterwards, I went to send them a text message, and it wouldn't let me. I kept getting: "Error invalid number. Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number..."

OK, so I edit the contact adding 1+area code and resend- nope. It tells me I'm still sending it to the same 7 digit number that I just edited. I remember running into this problem w/my iPhone, so I completely deleted the contact and re-entered it completely from scratch using the full 10 digit number, sent a text to the new contact and...nope. Same error telling me I'm sending it to a 7 digit number.

This is very annoying, any one have an idea who to remedy this issue?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. George0211

George0211 Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Is this a sycned contact from your google account by any chance?

3. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Software
    Raleigh,NC
    Nope. Brand new contact that I created yesterday.

4. ItalianHunk

ItalianHunk Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Riverside, CA
    I came from an iphone to my captivate about 2 weeks ago. My iphone did this a lot and I noticed my captivate just did this yesterday. I know you deleted your contact and re entered it but when I re entered the new contact, it worked fine. I now always put in a 10 digit number on all my contacts. Minus the 1+ because that makes it 11 digits. :)

5. George0211

Aug 16, 2010
    Try getting rid of 1 from the number, I have all my contacts setup in xxx-xxx-xxxx format.

Also, make sure you don't have 2 numbers listed in the contacts, 1 with area code and 1 without and the phone might be using the number without area code.

I'm just guessing here, I've never seen this problem before.

6. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Software
    Raleigh,NC
    Just tried again- completely deleted the contact, created a new one (even changed the name around so it was totally different) deleted the old text thread, put the number just as xxx-xxx-xxxx, went to compose a new message, and it STILL had the original 7 digit number listed! WTF!

7. George0211

Aug 16, 2010
    I don't how much data you have on your phone, but maybe you could try doing a reset on it and then recofigure all your settings.

8. djsams

djsams New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I had that happen with mine. I created a contact by accident at first with only 7 digits. Basically no matter what you do it won't work right with the stock messaging client. There's no way that I've found to fully delete a contact once its created. Change the name, change the number, whatever, it will still truncate the area code.

You can either do a full factory restore (with Odin-even the factory reset doesn't seem to fix this), or go with Handcent or Chomp. I switched to handcent, which I like better anyway.

9. SlappyMcgee

SlappyMcgee Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Delete the contact, also go into the call log of the phone and remove all entries. Make sure the contact didnt sync with your google contacts. Then recreate the contact.

I think this is how I had to do it when I had the problem on my captivate.

10. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Software
    Raleigh,NC
    Already did all this. :thinking:

11. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    If you created the contact on the phone it might have added it in more then one place, but your view only show one phonebook. Try this:

Go into contacts->menu->display options and make sure all the sources are checked - it could be that you have "phone" unchecked, but a contact was also created there (or google, or some other source). Then go look and see if you have a contact - you may see 2 of everyone as it is showing linked contacts, but you may find the one you deleted - its linked entry.

12. cardona125

cardona125 New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    I too, did everything that was suggested here. And nothing is working. Also, here is what doesn't make any sense is that I only have 3 out of 100 contacts that won't work. And like I said above I have deleted them completely out of my phone, and added them back in. And it is always the same three!