1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Editing the Kernel

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by k.c.cole, Feb 4, 2011.

1. k.c.cole

k.c.cole Android Enthusiast

Okay, so I am doing a little experimentation editing the kernel. Specifically, I am manipulating the swapiness file. I have it set to 0 with no adverse affects, and it seems to free up about 25-30 MB of system RAM (Before changing 25-30 MBs free, after 60 MBS free). Can any one think of any adverse effects this may have? I am going to experiment with it for a few days. So far it has allowed me to stably OC to 787, before I couldn't top 768 without KP, and 768 was a bit unstable. I'm getting quadrant score of 1200+ with my current config. But I'm fine with 600 most of the time.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. getitnowmarketing

getitnowmarketing Android Enthusiast

Are you actually changing this in the kernel config and building a kernel or simply changing the sysctl.conf in velocity? I'm also assuming you are referring to vmswappiness correct?

The kernel default value for vmswappiness is 60 and this is a description of vmswappiness here http://www.linuxvox.com/2009/10/what-is-the-linux-kernel-parameter-vm-swappiness/

3. k.c.cole

k.c.cole Android Enthusiast

I did it with the vm editor in velocity, and yes that is the correct .conf file. I think it was at 35 when i changed it.

So, I got the idea form a code-freak friend, who basically does the same config on a linux laptop to increase it's boot speed and optimize it's RAM usage. He also has optimized a web-server with similar settings.

Do you think this method has any merit applied to an Android phone? or am I barking up the wrong tree?

LG Ally Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews