• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Effect of the Microsoft/Nokia merger?

Speed_419

Sep 19, 2010
I thought I would ask all of you what you thought of the news about the Microsoft/Nokia merger. How do you think this will affect the industry and ultimately the end users?

To learn more about it I have attached a link to the Wall Street Journal report. Unfortunately you will need a membership in order to read the whole article, but it gives you a basic overview. Click here!

Speed...

keeping it simpele, not very much, there may be an initial hoo haa about nokia wp7 phones etc but as far as im concerned its too little too late.

I dont think its a merger, more or a:
microsoft: 'we'll merge and save your ass if we can have your hardware'
nokia: 'ok!'

Upvote 0
keeping it simpele, not very much, there may be an initial hoo haa about nokia wp7 phones etc but as far as im concerned its too little too late.

I dont think its a merger, more or a:
microsoft: 'we'll merge and save your ass if we can have your hardware'
nokia: 'ok!'

Oh, I don't disagree that they are both seriously late to the party!.. I just wonder if using Nokia's large global market share will help revive Microsoft if they start to innovate again? Just surprising that Nokia is putting all of its eggs in the Microsoft basket. There has to be something there, right?..

Upvote 0
zjgS1.jpg

The cover of the biggest tabloid in Finland.

''Lopun alku''=''Beginning of the end''

''Nokia petti meid

Upvote 0

Newest estimate of job losses in Finland is 10 000.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know Nokia employed that many in Finland. Is this in Admin, HR, R&D etc. or actually making phones? Last two Nokias I had, Made in China, so much for Finland's noble product.

At least my current Samsung Galaxy is, Made in Korea. i.e. a Korean phone actually made by Koreans. :)

Upvote 0
Nokia has awesome designs and high quality. What they lacked was an more universal OS. We'll see some high quality windows 7 phones and then nokia will start making phones that are average. Microsoft is playing catchup with their search engine and their mobile OS. The rest of their products are succuming to their ridiculous price structure that only businesses have money for. Owners of personal PC's are becoming increasingly knowledgeable about their computers and less and less are willing to fork out for software JUST for compatibility. It probably isn't helping them that almost all software that competes with MS's can now open and edit file types created by MS's software....
Capitalism ftw.

Upvote 0
It probably isn't helping them that almost all software that competes with MS's can now open and edit file types created by MS's software....

I'm sure this was also something Microsoft themselves had to do:
Microsoft Office Binary (doc, xls, ppt) File Formats
'The current and supported specifications for the Microsoft Word 97-2010, Excel 97-2010, and PowerPoint 97-2010'
... obviously MS had accusations of antitrust and vendor lock-in.

Upvote 0
I didn't even know Nokia employed that many in Finland. Is this in Admin, HR, R&D etc. or actually making phones? Last two Nokias I had, Made in China, so much for Finland's noble product.

http://www.nokia.com/NOKIA_COM_1/About_Nokia/Sidebars_new_concept/Nokia_in_brief/InBriefJuly08.pdf

Nokia Workers in Finland Take Collective Lunch Break in Protest of Windows Phone 7 Deal - SlashGear

1,000 Nokia workers walk out in Finland | thinq_

1500 people working on Symbian...

Upvote 0
now nokia phones can enjoy the blue screen of death like all other devices that runs microsoft os.:D

Funny thing is that my Droid X gets sigifcantly more FC's than my Windoze desktop gets BSOD's...

When I was an undergrad my favorite one-liner about computers was that "A computer is only as smart as the dummy who programs it"! :p

Upvote 0
Funny thing is that my Droid X gets sigifcantly more FC's than my Windoze desktop gets BSOD's...

When I was an undergrad my favorite one-liner about computers was that "A computer is only as smart as the dummy who programs it"! :p

A force close is almost uninteresting though. You push a button an imediatly launch the program again. If a program crashes in MS it spends a lot of time trying to recover it first, then asks if you want to send a report. And in the case of the BSOD.....well at least a couple minutes while your whole system reboots.
Just saying....the MS crash problem is a real problem....fo real!

Upvote 0
A force close is almost uninteresting though. You push a button an imediatly launch the program again. If a program crashes in MS it spends a lot of time trying to recover it first, then asks if you want to send a report. And in the case of the BSOD.....well at least a couple minutes while your whole system reboots.
Just saying....the MS crash problem is a real problem....fo real!

On my hunk of junk work laptop (Windows XP).. yea BSOD's are an annoyance and a problem! On my home computers (laptop and desktop both running Win 7) I almost never see a system crash anymore.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones