1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Electrical current felt in hand from Battery & HDMI ports

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DanDroide, Sep 25, 2011.

1. DanDroide

DanDroide Android Enthusiast
    None

When I hold my Bionic with my left hand, I can feel electrical current sometimes. It's from where you plug in the charger / HDMI jack ports on my Bionic.

Anyone else notice this?

Advertisement

2. dave1812

dave1812 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA
    Trolling?

3. DanDroide

None

Sorry? How is that trolling?

4. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Retired Lineman
    Tampa, FL
    Trolling? I have not experienced that but I would go exchange it at a verizon store. Something is definitely wrong.

DanDroide likes this.
  5. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Hi Dave, I am not sure the point of your post. If you are unable to help out the Dan, then you should move on to another thread. Your post adds nothing to the topic and is of little help to the OP. AndroidForums is a place where members can discuss Android and issues they are having with their phones.

Dan, I would go with dfib's suggestion. If you're able to feel electrical current on the phone, then there's something wrong with it.

Cheers,
    Roze
    Your friendly neighbourhood moderator

DanDroide likes this.
  6. dave1812

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA

LOL! It just seems so bizarre, doesn't it? Low voltage devices don't generally shock people... :)

Secondly,THE PORTS ARE RECESSED! ;)

7. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    It does seem bizarre but I prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Now, you should post why getting an electric current shock from the phone is impossible if you believe to know the reason and explain what you mean by recessive ports.

8. DanDroide

None

It's more like a slight tickle "sometimes". I have the Shell Case/Holster combo an maybe it's static electricity. I was telling me wife about it and she said I should post it. I love my Bionic btw.

I was thinking of just making a little velcro or rubber cover, which I will probably attempt.

9. LrdAnkh

LrdAnkh Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Dierector of Sys. & Operations (IT)
    West Orange, NJ
    Even if the port are recessed with any manufacturing process not everything comes out the same every time and it is quite possible that these stick out enough to make contact, besides, depending how it is held and how much of a grip you have you can still make contact, try it yourself and you will see, as far as the op is concerned I would do exactly as informed, I would take it back explain the problem and i am sure they would exchange it without any questions.

10. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 10, 2010
    Not that it is particularly important to the OP's report, but....
    It's not the voltage, it's the amperage that "shocks" people.
    And as to low voltage giving little shock, try licking a 9v battery.

11. dave1812

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA
    I've felt that "tickle". I've also been shocked by capacitors, 110V, high energy ignitions systems on cars...but I've never been "shocked" by a recessed low voltage port such as an HDMI or USB port on any device equipped with either. :) Nor have I been zapped by a headphone jack...

I've gotten some pretty annoying zaps from static electricity in dust collection systems. It's no wonder that it's possible to have a fire in one, under the right conditions.

12. DanDroide

None

That explains it! LOL

13. dave1812

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA

LOL! good one! :)

14. DanDroide

None

After further attempts to re-create any electrical tickle that I thought I felt several times, I realized it must just be how the hard shell case feels in my palm/base of the thumb as the phone moves a little, right next to the power & hdmi inputs.

I just took off the case, and I was unable to re-create that feeling. Must be the ridges/gaps on the case causing me to think that.

I would not be opposed to deleting this thread should a MOD want to since it appears the title is off base from what it was/is.

Thanks!

15. CKwik240

CKwik240 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    On the other hand, tazers use very high voltages (on the order of tens of thousands of volts, IIRC) but use exceptionally small currents. I do agree it would be unlikely, but there most certainly can be a defect that can cause such a problem.

16. welbinator

welbinator Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    you can argue semantics if you really want to, but there is no current without a voltage...therefore there is no shocking without a voltage. so in a sense, you are getting shocked by a voltage.

I agree with your comment baout the 9v, I had a 9v battery in my pocket one time, along with some old copper pennies....I reached in my pocket and found a very, VERY warm surprise. don't underestimate the low voltages!!

17. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Retired Lineman
    Tampa, FL
    Just to give everyone a lesson in electricity.

<<<<<<<If you have any questions about where I get my info. I have also taken 7200 volts and am still kicking. Missing a few pieces but still kicking none the less.

Offhand it would seem that a shock of 10,000 volts would be more deadly than 100 volts. But this is not so! Individuals have been electrocuted by appliances using ordinary house currents of 110 volts and by electrical apparatus in industry using as little as 42 volts direct current. The real measure of shock's intensity lies in the amount of current (amperes) forced though the body, and not the voltage. Any electrical device used on a house wiring circuit can, under certain conditions, transmit a fatal current.

While any amount of current over 10 milliamps (0.01 amp) is capable of producing painful to severe shock, currents between 100 and 200 mA (0.1 to 0.2 amp) are lethal. Currents above 200 milliamps (0.2 amp), while producing severe burns and unconsciousness, do not usually cause death if the victim is given immediate attention.

I copy this from the Ohio St physics dept. because it was easier then typing it myself.

18. dave1812

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA
    currents are what kill. I've been zapped by over 40,000 volts, but at super-low amperage.

19. welbinator

welbinator Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 1, 2010

Yes it is the actual flowing of electrons (or holes depending on what school you went to) that kills. But without some kind of voltage, nothing will flow. Resistance is obviously a huge factor.

20. bigbabys

bigbabys Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Personal Account Manager
    Largo, FL
    Maybe your Bionic is mad. Are you neglecting it? I would recommend you give it some attention before it "rules all machines" in your house, and turns them against you.

21. simplesam88

simplesam88 Lurker
    None

Oct 7, 2011
    EE 2nd year student
    Hesperia,Ca
    I thought I was going crazy until I confirmed mine had the same symptom. It occurs when the silicon case is on. The silicon is slippery and the case of the phone is polished. When your palm loosly glides past the ports (where the case is exposed) the small amount of friction causes a vibration on your skin. Feels just like a light electrical shock.

22. TravisZ

TravisZ Newbie
    None

Sep 18, 2010
    I've felt that but both times, while it did feel like a very small electric buzz, it was just an app frozen in the background that caused the phone to lightly vibrate on movement

23. dacanev

dacanev Lurker
    None

Oct 14, 2011
    I just left my local Verizon retailer. I stopped in to ask them if they had any complaints about the electric current being felt in Bionics and they looked at me as if i was an idiot. There is definitely a current when both ports are touched at the same time. To me this seems an issue that should not or could not have escaped Motorola, thus i think there might be a problem with MY phone?
    I am going to call Verizon and get their opinion BUT it's nice to know i am not the only one who noticed this issue.

DanDroide likes this.
  24. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I have the first Bionic sold in this town.

I tried your question on my Bionic with the screen on and the screen off I ran my fingers over both ports at the same time.

I can feelnothing.

... Thom

25. goldrush28

goldrush28 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    Male
    Connecticut
    There is a reason they ask you to turn your cell phone of while pumping gas.