1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Elusive perfect music player...

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by nola mike, Jun 6, 2011.

1. nola mike

nola mike Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Obviously a ton of topics on this, but I still can't find what I'm looking for. I play music mixed with podcasts. I want:

1. Easy ability to create playlists
    2. Ability to resume when loading playlists. For example, when I change from listening to podcast to music and vice versa, I want it to resume at the same point in that playlist. Most I've seen lose their place when you load a new playlist.
    3. Ability to browse by folder.

Anything else is a bonus. Astro Player Nova seems to come closest to these, but it seems to kill my battery even when not in use (whenever I pull up battery usage, Nova is a significant chunk, even when I only listened to it for a few minutes). I'm also having an issue with it not pulling up album art anymore. Mixzing also seems nice, but I can't figure out how to do #2. Love the UI in ^3, but seems to fail at all criteria. Didn't care too much for Meridian, but didn't thoroughly check it out.

Advertisement

2. ninja_reject

ninja_reject Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    You have to properly close the music player after each use. It is annoying, but I use android assistant, because it is not like other task managers. I can easily choose to close only one thing or close a couple, but not widgets and stuff that will just immediately reopen.

3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Bad advice. Task killers on Android waste your battery life and if an app is programmed right, you have no need for one. There's no need to "properly close" a music player and even if there was, a task killer is not the right way to do that. A task killer is basically the equivalent of hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del on your computer and going in and killing things. On Android, that just causes the tasks you kill to re-spawn because they think they crashed. Then the task killer kills them again and you've got a cycle of fail going on.

Anyway, I'd check out PowerAmp. I use it myself and am very happy with it. It's a great player and I think it does all you've asked.

4. Sshadd

Sshadd Lurker
    None

Everybody's idea of a perfect music player is bound to be different. I use PowerAmp. It has support for queues, playlists and adding to playlists. I originally created my m3u lists with WinAmp, and add songs to them all the time.
    PowerAmp also has support for listing songs by folder, artist, albums, artists, genres, ect. I'm not sure if it resumes a playlist after the app has be closed for awhile.
    As far as podcasts go, I use a seperate app (Doggcatcher) for that completely so that I don't mix my music files and
    podcasts. You may want to change the way you store music. I got fed up with multiple folders/artists and folder browsing, and now I just keep all my mp3s and playlists in one folder, and use the meta tags embedded into the mp3s to organize them, including album art. I let the music player browse the metadata categories or playlists. It took a while to organize the metadata but overall I'm happy I did it. Although I have larger mp3 files, I don't have to worry about artist and album folders with separate album art, and it makes it easy to list and backup files and maybe share them from a single network folder from home.
    PowerAmp also has a nice interface and equalizer settings and support for lots of other features.
    I use Doggcatcher to subscribe to both audio and video podcasts and download them either by 4g or wifi throughout the night so that they're ready to listen to when driving about.
    PowerAmp and Doggcatcher both have free trials, and are easily worth what they ask for them.

5. joggy

joggy Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 11, 2010
    +1 on both PowerAMP & Doggcatcher. Great combo.

6. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I use PowerAMP Pro and love it. The best music player I have seen thus far. With the widget, you can start a song/playlist, right where you left off. (Even after powering off the phone, I believe.)

7. dachillfx

dachillfx Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    Neutron is the Neu what's happening. Now in Android Market.