• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email account ?

Teezy

Nov 14, 2009
I ordered a droid and should be here Tuesday.

Quick question. I am coming from a BB Storm where my Road Runner (internet provider) email account worked flawlessly on the Storm. Back in the day when i had a Treo there was big work around you had to use in order to get email accounts like this to work on it. Is this the case with a Droid as well, or is it as simple as the BB storm where i just enter in my email and password in setup and it is done?

The sales rep on the phone told me i would be able to get my RR emails on the droid but we all know how sales reps can be.

i'm still having an error message. I called verizon and they couldnt help and told me to call Road Runner which i did. The setup RR gave me was the same i had put in myself.

Incoming server settings

username: first part of email address
i.e. johndoe@cinci.rr.com so username would be johndoe
password: xxxxxxx
pop3 server: pop-server.cinci.rr.com
port 110
security type none
delete from server : when i delete from inbox

when i hit next it checks incoming server settings and moves on

Outgoing server

smtp server: smtp-server.cinci.rr.com
port 25
sercurity type: none

i hit next and it moves on

when i try to send or recieve or when i hit Load more messages i get a yellow box that pops up saying "Connection error"

this is starting to be real frustrating. My BB setup was so easy. This one is not cooperating. Any help would be great

Upvote 0
I started a thread with the same POP3 RR account problems. I kept trying and trying and on the fourth day of numerous tries it worked. I however cannot send emails, just receive them. So there must be something that we/they (motorola, verizon or RR) are doing wrong.

I am using the same setup (ports) that you are for my RR account.

Upvote 0
I have cinci road runner but I did not set it up on my phone. I save those emails for the computer. I do know that this question came up last week sometime. There was a suggestion that you put your user name in as the entire email address including the @cinci.rr.com I don't know if that worked or not but I did see it as a possibility.

Upvote 0
I just set it up on my phone to test it. I put in the user name as user@cinci.rr.com All of the other settings you have are correct. I sent a message from my phone to another account and it worked. I sent a message from another account on my computer to the phone and it worked. It seems that the trick is to put in the whole email address for user name.

I hope it works!

Reactions: NYAV8R
Upvote 0
FWIW, I just insalled the K-9 Mail client this morning...infinitely better than the stock DROID POP3 client. It may have issues sending thru WiFi...I've been doing a lot of tests but didn't pay attention to whether it sent via WiFi vs. 3G. Something tells me no from what I remember, but there are many more synch interval options and it just manages your account much better.

Upvote 0
FWIW, I just insalled the K-9 Mail client this morning...infinitely better than the stock DROID POP3 client. It may have issues sending thru WiFi...I've been doing a lot of tests but didn't pay attention to whether it sent via WiFi vs. 3G. Something tells me no from what I remember, but there are many more synch interval options and it just manages your account much better.

And it lets you put in a signature for all of your accounts.

Upvote 0
And it lets you put in a signature for all of your accounts.

It lets you do a lot of things the stock client "does't"..."sort by..." being one of them. I just noticed that at the last message, if you press in the "Load up to...more" area, you can get it to load older and older messages, with each press". This may be avail. in the native client, but was something I was looking for anyway. It will also let you sync if the global "Background Sync" is turned off.

Upvote 0
can you confirm your incoming and outgoing server settings. And are you checking the box under ougoing server that says Require a sign in?

i'm geting this error

Setup could not finsh

Cannot connect to server. (421 hrndva-omtalb.mail.rr.com connection refused from 75.xxx.xxx.xxx

I do not get an option to check or uncheck the box using K9 (or not checking the manual set up button.) Give me a moment to try setting it up in the default app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones