1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Email app and Exchange Server

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jhsrennie, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Android Enthusiast

If anyone can't get the Email app to read mail from a Microsoft Exchange server I've found the reason (well, one reason).

To read mail from Exchange you need to have the master synch enabled i.e. the second from right icon on the power bar. I normally disable this to save the battery, and with the sync off you can create the account and it will connect but the email app sits there saying "Waiting for sync" or something like that. To get it to work I enabled the sync then removed the mail account and recreated it.

This looks like a Jelly Bean thing because by Nexus phone did the same after the OTA update. I've used Exchange mail with every previous version of Android from 2.2 upwards and Jelly Bean is the first version that's done this.

Vladilen and Atma like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Vladilen

Vladilen Lurker

Thank you, thank you! I hit this two days ago with Nexus 7, could not figure it out. do you keep this master sync setting on all the time when you are using email? I did not have to have it on first time I configured it, but after I changed my password in outlook it stopped syncing. Bizarre...
    Thanks again.

3. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Android Enthusiast

I now keep the master sync on all the time. I don't think it actually affects the battery life that much as long as you keep an eye on what you have running.

Vladilen likes this.