1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Email app not working properly?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Valiceemo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Valiceemo

Valiceemo Guest
    None
    I can't seem to get my stock email app to function as I (think) it should.
    Its not pushing email's.
    i.e I have to open the app before I find I've got new mails.
    I'm also not getting any notifications.
    Also, when I open the app I want it to always open on the combined inbox (I have multiple email accounts set up)
    And is there a way too change the colours? For example unread mails are highlighted grey and turn white after opening?
    I'm using the stock email app (not Gmail) on an LG G2, unrooted android 4.2.2.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    If the stock email app on the G2 works the same at the stock email app on my N4 (very similar) then open the mail app and tap on settings. You should see "general settings" and a list of your email accounts. Tap each email account and make sure they are setup as imap. POP won't push mail. Then make sure sync frequency is set appropriately as well ans notifications are turned on. I don't think you can set the combined inbox as a default screen. I think it opens to the last screen, so if you always leave from the combined view, it should be there. Or you can get a widget to throw the combined view on your home screen.

3. Valiceemo

Valiceemo Guest
    None
    Thanks lunatic
    Yeah they are all set to imap.
    The sync frequency isn't applicable if mails are pushed is it? I thought the idea of push mails were they will appear on a device in 'real time' if you like?

4. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Yes to a degree, that's true. However, if a push mail recipient isn't available at the time of sending, it will be held in the server's queue and retried periodically until the mail is accepted. Even switching between WiFi and mobile data can be enough to throw it out of sync.

Setting the sync frequency will poll your server for new mail, even with imap accounts, so you'd get them then. Every 10 or 15 minutes wouldn't be unreasonable.

5. Valiceemo

Valiceemo Guest
    None
    Ill fiddle with settings then a bit more I think.
    Second problem now. Mails are being marked as read before I've read them? As in I open the app and new messages are showing as being read

6. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Do you have another device that checks mail? or do you/did you leave a mail client open on a desktop? Are all your accounts behaving this way or just one?

7. Valiceemo

Valiceemo Guest
    None
    I have an iPhone bit that is permanently switched off now. They can't be fetching the mails can it?
    And no clients open on desktop or laptop.