• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help email app uses a lot of data! help! :(

phasr

Lurker
Mar 4, 2011
hi guys, i recently got a message from my provider after 7 days telling me that u used up 90% of my data (of 1gb)!
so i downloaded the traffic monitor app to see the amount of data used by each individual app. and it seems the mail app (not gmail) is the problem, it used like 18mb within 1 hour! which means 1day=24x18=432mb.
this way i would use up all my data in 2 days! there is no way this is possible right ? i don't even use this mush data retrieving mail on my pc XD

hope some1 can help my out :)

thnx!

TBH, 18 MB sounds like quite a bit, however, as it is not a push functionality, you can easily recon a couple of megabytes every time the phone connects up to check for emails. This is because you are highly likely using the POP3/IMAP protocol to link to your email server, and every time you connect, the system has to send the username, password, etc, etc. and all system information required to access the server, then receive authentication tokens and all that crap to communicate with the server. Put this together with maybe 2-3 emails you get in one hour, and you got 18 MB. When you have a push functionality server on your email, the phone does not constantly connect to the server, the server will connect to it (basically the phone will check every 10 seconds, but basically it is "trusted" by the server, and will just "Ping" the server, get an confirmation on a new mail or not, and if there is, it will then download the email which can be a few MB when it actually gets the email, but otherwise it is just a few bytes sent every 10 seconds or so when you have push activated, meaning much less data traffic).

PS! There are also a variety of push server set ups, like BlackBerry will actually have their own server, that will have a unique ID on each phone that has bought access to its server, and with this unique ID tie a email account you set up. This server will then ping almost constantly the email server, and once you get a mail, the server from BB will contact the phone and tell there is a new email, which is then downloaded. So with BB your phone does nothing, except when contacted. The version I wrote earlier is the more common push setup :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones