• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email App vs GMail App and Push/Pull notifications.

zcast

Nov 6, 2009
Busy forum today, so I thought I would post this and try to get a response. Picked up the Droid/Motorola today and have been trying to figure out the Email App vs the GMail App and where I should tie my accounts in.

I have 4 GMail accounts, 2 Local ISP accounts, and 1 Exchange account. Setting up the Exchange account was pretty straight-forward and the phone put that account into the EMAIL application. The exchange account is also listed under the sync settings (since I assume exchange is pushed and therefore it gets labeled as a Sync On/Off ability). The local ISP accounts are POP and therefore also get placed into the EMAIL app due to them being pulled at my "every 5 minutes" setting.

The 4 GMail accounts are my real question. It basically comes down to this... Originally I setup the 4 accounts in the EMAIL app vs the GMAIL app; primarily because thats what I thought I needed to do. The problem I was was having though, is I wasn't receiving my email notifications and/or not receiving my email in a timely manner (push). I then figured out how to set them up in the GMAIL app and moved 2 of the accounts over there and ran some tests.

Emails sent to the 2 accounts in the GMAIL app were pushed to the device nearly instantly. Often times I would receive notification on the device before I got them on my desktop. The emails sent to the gmail accounts on the EMAIL app didn't notify me until the fetch timer (5 minutes) kicked in.

Now even though the auto-configure feature of the EMAIL app when setting up the gmail account defaulted to IMAP rather than POP, I wouldn't think that IMAP would be quicker. I guess it doesn't matter, it all depends on the fetch frequency in your settings.

The problem is, I like, almost love, the combined Inbox feature of the EMAIL application. I also like the account color-coding it does to make reading emails in the combined inbox easier. From what I can tell, the GMAIL app doesn't have such a feature and I need to Menu>>All Accounts>>Select Account>>Open Email to read an incoming message. I assume the GMail app takes advantage of Google Sync and therefore pushes your email to the device, but apparently this isn't available in the EMAIL app itself??

If I am missing something please let me know.

-Z

I would assume you can set your gmail up as an exchange acct in the email app like you can on windows mobile. This would allow for push email while still using the combined inbox. However I haven't been able to figure out the settings to get it to work. The ones that you would use on the iphone or windows mobile don't seem to work

Upvote 0
The ActiveSync settings of using m.google.com for the server doesn't work. There has to be some setting that the GMail app uses to configure the accounts to be tied into the GMail Exchange Server (Google Sync), but those account settings aren't visible. I guess I can't understand why you must you the GMail app if you want your GMail pushed to you vs just setting it up in the EMAIL app and it doing the same thing.

-Z

Upvote 0
Hello I have verizon droid and have gmail email with pdf attachment when I press open says fetching attachment after says attachment can not be displayed? when I press menu button shows delete forward reply reply all mark as read ( no attachment action to do) any advice

I just sent a PDF file to myself via GMAIL. The PDF file showed up and there was a "PREVIEW" button next to the attachment. I click the button and the PDF is downloaded and opened in a side window (an implementation of QuickOffice that is built into Android I believe, as I don't have QuickOffice on my phone as an application).

Another option you can do is this, which is good for a quick fix:

http://androidforums.com/android-tips-tricks/1960-trick-reading-pdf-files.html

-Z

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones