• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email doesnt auto sync since update to Jellybean

KeefG76

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
Hi all,

Hope someone can help as this problem is driving me insane!

Since my new S3 was updated to Jellybean on Sunday night, it now doesnt auto sync my email anymore, it was working fine before the update.

I have a Sky email account and now no longer receive emails unless I manually check for them which is very annoying as I receive a lot of emails that are time critical and remembering to check it all the time whilst at work is difficult.

In my 'added accounts/settings' Sync Email is ticked and the sync schedule is set to default, peak schedule is 15 mins and off peak schedule is 15 mins, while roaming is set to use above settings.

I've tried removing the account and adding it again with no joy.

Any help?

Cheers

I'm suffering the same issue with general sync disabled everywhere. Other forums point to the Jelly Bean upgrade removing the "Sync" control from the Touch Wizard (at the top of the screen), so if it was disabled when the upgrade occurred you now can't switch it back on. Mine was disabled to prevent roaming charges while abroad. Now I can't switch sync back on. Does anyone have any advice to get it switched on again? This is a major mess up by the Android devs it seems.

Upvote 0
My new Galaxy S3 (early Feb 2013) came with Android 4.1.1 installed by Verizon at time of purchase. It automatically synced my Hotmail account just fine for the first 2-3 weeks, but has now stopped automatically syncing. I had made no changes to anything affecting sync and have since tried different sync settings in a failed attempt to correct the problem.

At the home screen Menu > Settings > Email I found my Hotmail account indicating "Sync disabled" (and the sync icon is gray). Based on previous posts here I went to the Quick Settings Bar in the Notifications screen (touch and swipe down the narrow status bar at very top of the screen to reveal the Notifications screen - on my phone the Quick Settings Bar is the row of gray or green controls at the top of the Notifications screen) and scrolled to the far right to find that the Sync control was set to Off (not green). I toggled it to On (green) and confirmed that now in home screen Menu > Settings > Email my email account showed Sync enabled (and the sync icon is green). But the email account is still not automatically syncing, even though at the top of the Email app screen (list of emails in Inbox) it shows "Last Updated mm/dd/yyy hh:mm AM/PM" as the current time (as if it were in fact syncing automatically). Manual sync does work (I have waited about 24 hours and over many incoming e-mails before doing a manual sync to be sure the auto sync is not working).

I notice that in the Email app's Menu > Settings > Click on account name > Scroll to very bottom, and the Sync Email entry is gray and with a pale green tick, implying that sync is only partially enabled. I checked that automatic sync is enabled in Email app's Menu > Settings > Sync Schedule for all times and while roaming. I also did a Restart of the phone, just to be sure. So what explains the gray/pale green "Sync Email" entry and what explains automatic sync not working?

Upvote 0
I'm suffering the same issue with general sync disabled everywhere. Other forums point to the Jelly Bean upgrade removing the "Sync" control from the Touch Wizard (at the top of the screen), so if it was disabled when the upgrade occurred you now can't switch it back on. Mine was disabled to prevent roaming charges while abroad. Now I can't switch sync back on. Does anyone have any advice to get it switched on again? This is a major mess up by the Android devs it seems.

Go to your e-mail app,i.e. Gmail, push the options button, go to settings, tap your e-mail address, and you'll see sync there.. Then go to your other apps you want synced and do the same..

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Hope someone can help as this problem is driving me insane!

Since my new S3 was updated to Jellybean on Sunday night, it now doesnt auto sync my email anymore, it was working fine before the update.

I have a Sky email account and now no longer receive emails unless I manually check for them which is very annoying as I receive a lot of emails that are time critical and remembering to check it all the time whilst at work is difficult.

In my 'added accounts/settings' Sync Email is ticked and the sync schedule is set to default, peak schedule is 15 mins and off peak schedule is 15 mins, while roaming is set to use above settings.

I've tried removing the account and adding it again with no joy.

Any help?

Cheers

Android Jellybean (4.1+) has a little icon at the end of the top tool-bar (same tool-bar that's accessible by swiping from the top, and contains the 'Wifi', 'Bluetooth', 'Airplane Mode' etc.). The last icon is for 'sync'; tapping on that enables the sync across all accounts. RIDICULOUS how much time it took me to find it!

Upvote 0
Android Jellybean (4.1+) has a little icon at the end of the top tool-bar (same tool-bar that's accessible by swiping from the top, and contains the 'Wifi', 'Bluetooth', 'Airplane Mode' etc.). The last icon is for 'sync'; tapping on that enables the sync across all accounts. RIDICULOUS how much time it took me to find it!
But I'm not sure what is meant by "syncing" here. There seems to be different uses of the word "sync." Email sync is different that contact syncing. The Settings>Account accounts sync many things other than email. Also, this toggle configures the option that Grexnix points out below.

You can edit those toggles in Settings, Display, Notification Panel mate :thumbup:
Not on my American Verizon phone with Jelly Bean 4.1.2

I don't know if it the same with other devices but on my tablet I had this sync problem and to fix it I had to go into Settings, then Data Usage, and then select the menu icon (top right of the screen on my Ampe A78 tablet), and then select Auto-Sync Data. Took forever to find that though.
I just noticed that this is enabled and disabled through the Notification Panel Sync toggle.

Other uses of the word "sync" and how to configure them are being explored in this thread: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/722108-settings-accounts-sync.html

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I think "sync" if refering to of the notification area toggle applies to apps
funkylogik,

Are you saying that is for "updating" apps? Backing up app data? Activating "sync" in apps like email? Which apps? S Memo has a sync function but that's for backing up data. The stock calendar has a sync function but I don't know what it's doing.

PS - Your boy Andy Murray has a bit of a wrenched back. I'm wondering if he's going to skip Roland Garros and try to heal up for Wimbledon, since he doesn't think he's got much of a chance in Paris.

Upvote 0
None of the suggestions in this thread worked for my problem (described above on 25feb2013). What did work was to create the account using the manual method rather than the automatic method offered for Hotmail. Not only does it now continue to sync (before it stopped syncing after about 2 weeks), but now I can see all e-mail folders and I can control syncing of contacts and calendar. Happy now. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones