1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Email (Exchange) killing battery and data on ICS 4.x (Nexus S)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thedynamix, Apr 13, 2012.

1. thedynamix

thedynamix Newbie

Hi guys,

Ever since forcing the ICS update just before Christmas last year (to ICS 4.0.2 I think) I have noticed SEVERE battery drainage and absolute ass--kicking of mobile data when using the Email app (synced to my work Microsoft Exchange).

Since then, I've only been able to sync Exchange email when on WiFi and close to a charger!

I was hoping ICS 4.0.4 would fix this, but it is still as severe as ever and it's really ANNOYING! I cannot pick up work emails on the go because my data (750MB) and battery will both be almost completely depleted after about 6 hours.. Seriously.. No exaggeration at all.

Someone else must surely have experienced this also?

Any ideas for a fix???

Loving Android ICS other than that, but if this persists, I'll be swapping over to Apple or Windows.... These are BASIC things!!

Thanks,

Nick

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. thedynamix

thedynamix Newbie

Anyone know about this??

3. stephen1979

stephen1979 Newbie

I was having a similar problem. I have removed my work email until I can figure it out. I had to call Rogers to give me an extra 500mb of data because I was going to exceed my limit. Since I removed the work email I'm doing fine. Thankfully I don't rely on my email that heavily. Sorry I can't be of any help, but I'm interested in a fix.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

As mentioned, there is another thread with some info, but basically it's a reported issue:

Issue 24531 - android - ExchangeActiveSync (4.0.2-EAS-1.3) on Galaxy Nexus crushing Exch2003/IIS services and Nexus battery life - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

It would help if you too added to the issue infomation to solve the problem.

5. batmandroid

batmandroid Member

had similar problem. took off option to receive push emails and instead to check every 5 minutes or something, and that is alot better. i'm not sure why this is a problem with nexus s, but for some reason the microsoft push system seemingly causes the nexus to continuously check for messages or something. crazy battery drain and data drain. sync every 5 minutes is not so bad. not awesome like push syncing, but sufficient.

only experienced this with hotmail app, but it could be something specific with how microsoft implements push syncing in general.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I would not be surprised to learn that Microsoft somehow does it deliberately with Android, yet it would work perfectly on Windows Phones.

Yeah that's right...I hate Microshaft!
    :argh:

Nexus S Forum

The Nexus S release date was December 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

December 2010
Release Date
Reviews