• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help email filters

DWFII

Jul 6, 2016
ᴡᴡᴡ.dwfii.sexy17.ru
I have a Samsung S6. It came with an email app and I access my pop3 account through it.

So far so good. But the app tells me that I can filter spam and mail that I don't want simply by selecting the email and opening the "more" menu in the upper right hand x=corner. It says that when I do this I will have an option to register an address as unwanted.

But no matter how I approach the problem the "more menu" never gives me any such option...or anything similar.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated...Or suggestions for a third party app that has actual email filtering.

From experience, email spam filtering is always best done server side, which can have a lot of resources, elaborate and smart filtering, online databases etc, rather than trying to do it locally with just the client app itself. Does your whatever it is email provider not do any spam filtering?

I have no suggestions about about any particular email clients myself, because I do all email online in a browser, which are spam filtered by my email providers

Upvote 0
From experience, email spam filtering is always best done server side, which can have a lot of resources, elaborate and smart filtering, online databases etc, rather than trying to do it locally with just the client app itself. Does your whatever it is email provider not do any spam filtering?

I have no suggestions about about any particular email clients myself, because I do all email online in a browser, which are spam filtered by my email providers

Thanks for the reply...

Yes, it does. But first, they have a limit and I've been with them a long time. I've hit that limit and then some. Asked for more and got it but the fact that there is a limit is discouraging.

Beyond that why would an app tell you it can filter and then fail to provide the tools to do so? That's even more discouraging...and is the reason I'm looking for an alternative or solutions.

Maybe the Samsung email app is broken?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All I can add is that I recall that MailDroid does email filtering. I've never used the stock Samsung email app on any device, and the S8's version will be different from the one on my Note tablet anyway, so can't comment on that.

That last may be the reason for the difference between views and replies: until people view the thread they don't know how general or specific the question is. Once they do many will discover that it's about a specific app which they don't have experience of.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones