• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

email marked read changes itself to unread and sends new notification

AZDroid

Nov 11, 2009
I have a few gmail accounts on my Droid and that work fine, but my msn email that I added has a problem. If I get messages and don't open them, then 15 minutes later I get a notification of new mail, but when I check there's nothing new. So then I tried marking messages read to prevent this but some of the messages revert to unread on their own then renotify me as if I have new messages. So I either have to open them or delete them to stop getting false notifications.

Anyone else have this issue, any settings I can change that will fix this? Nobody has access to this email account except me so I know it's not a matter of someone marking unread from the desktop.

Same problem here. Also, I had e-mails on my phone that I had already marked as read & now they are gone and I have to hit "Load More Messages" to get them back, and then they are unread again. I have used Hotmail for almost 10 years and don't want to have to change to GMail, but it seems that this phone wants you to.

Upvote 0
i had the same problem for hotmail originally... but in only lasted the first day. now all is quiet (probably due to not receiving any more emails on that account)

loading up the original 75 inbox is what's causing it, because as soon as you mark them read or delete them, the inbox tries to push them again.

Upvote 0
I have diagnosed this problem further and come up with a work-around.

It appears that the problem happens when there are embedded images in a file, which may or may not be attachments.

The work around is to actually open the message, then tap "show images" and let them load. When you then leave the message, it will remain marked "read".

The same seems to be true of messages with attachments. If you actually go into the message, the message remains "read" and doesn't re-mark itself as read.

So... IMO, this problem is still annoying enough that it needs to be fixed, but at least there is a viable workaround.

Note: I have only tested this work around for the past 20 hours or so, but it seems to be working 100% of the time.

I've entered the same comments on this bug in the Android issue tracker, which can be found here: Issue 4193 - android - Email read/unread marker work wrong - Project Hosting on Google Code. For those of you who care to, please go "star" that thread so that they can see that its effecting more than 2 of us, and hopefully they will get it fixed quickly.

-Soul Master

Upvote 0
I was having the exact same issue with my phone and have come up with the best option that works for me. I have 5 different email accounts for work and pleasure and I was having a problem with all of them. I went into Gmail and just added these accounts to gmail and now I get them all through my gmail account but labeled separately. I am getting all my emails and sending everything just fine now. My only major issue is that I can't have separate signatures for each one, but that's not too big of a deal since I prefer to send emails from my computer if at all possible. I hope this helps some of the others here and if you have questions let me know. I am not that great with the computer and I bet there is even a better solution but this one has been the best one for me so far.

On a side note: I still don't know how to 'mark all as read' on the phone, it seems the only way to do it is from my actual gmail account online and then it will clear it on my phone. Anyone have any tips on how to do it straight from the phone? Thanks!!

Upvote 0
This issue is REALLY ANNOYING. I am a heavy phone POP3 email user. Maybe Droid isnt ready for prime time. There are a LOT of other features that work poorly.
Video playback looses sync over time with MP4.
Can't copy things from a web page and paste them into a email. Cant blog on any news site as they stick you onto the special baby phone website and you cant AVOID IT. Playlist creation for audio? Painful. There is much more. Not having video out of the mortorola is something that disappoints me. Screen res too high to be pratical. A SD TV is 720x480 HD can be higher but the resolution doesnt resolve to either.
Scale to fit when playing back video. (you can save a lot of flash space and get an OK picture on that small screen by allowing content to be 360x240 and scaled to fit.
ETC.. Guess I am impatient.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones