1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Email Message List Contrast for Read Emails

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by nhlevin, Jan 26, 2016.

1. nhlevin

nhlevin Lurker

Hey, Forum.

Loving my Galaxy S6 with Verizon.

However, my only gripe (after 1 month of hard core use) is that the contrast between read and unread emails in the message list of the stock email app is negligible. In most lighting conditions, I have a tough time seeing what's been read and unread. Very annoying and can't find a setting to change this.
    I've been exploring other email clients though I have 3 accounts, 1 POP, 1 IMAP and 1 Exchange. I can't find a program that truly manages all 3 well (even tried the dated K-9 though struggled to get iCloud email via IMAP; I'm told that Google has stepped up it's game with Gmail though no Exchange. Anyone had luck with Boxer? Looked good though coudn't get it to fly).

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Neal

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

What email account are you trying to use Exchange with? Gmail app works fine with Outlook.com

3. nhlevin

nhlevin Lurker

For some reason, Gmail only supports pop and imap though I've read that it is supposed to handle exchange as well. Very bizarre.

4. svim

svim Extreme Android User

You've got the perfect mix of contrasting mail services to make things complicated.
    -- Microsoft Exchange used to support the common web standard WebDAV protocol but during the 2007-2010 time period changed to MS's own ActiveSync protocol.
    -- K-9 Mail does work with MS Exchange but only for older versions (pre 2007) that use WebDAV. Most Exchange servers are running more recent versions.
    -- Google has deprecated support of ActiveSync as of 2013 so general gmail users cannot use MS Exchange, but if you have a paid Google apps account you still can.
    Since you've got Gmail and Exchange accounts, you need something that supports not just the common POP and IMAP, but also Microsoft's EAS (as in not just Exchange support as that can apply to WebDAV but specifically ActiveSync). Microsoft does make Outlook for Android but read through the reviews section -- there's a number of complaints about sluggishness. But it might be worth a try. If anyone is using Outlook for Android with multiple accounts chime in.
    Nine-Exchange is supposed to have POP/IMAP/EAS support:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3
    You mentioned Boxer and that also lists support for EAS:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.boxer.email
    Email Exchange supports IMAP and EAS but not POP:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syntomo.email

5. nhlevin

nhlevin Lurker

Thanks, svim. Very helpful. Haven't tried Nine-Exchange yet so I'll give it a go. Yes, Outlook for Android seems to be a poor option.

6. nhlevin

nhlevin Lurker

Someone also suggested Aqua. Wow, only in use for an hour with the IMAP and POP accounts and I'm loving it! Going to continue testing before I add Exchange and will report back. Mostly, though, any of these apps solve the problem with the stock email app. While it's an improvement from older versions of the stock app, the inability to get a better contrast between read and unread emails is enough reason to trash it.

AZgl1500 and tube517 like this.
  7. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Aqua is a great app and the developer is always updating and making improvements. I don't have an Exchange account so I truly do not know if it is compatible to your needs.

AZgl1500 likes this.
  8. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

Aqua Mail devotee here until eternity freezes over :rolleyes:

tube517 likes this.