1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Email not sending on WI Fi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Captain Sexy, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Captain Sexy

Captain Sexy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    Male
    So I have a strange situation. Using the stock email app my email works fine on 4G and my home wi fi network. However, when I get to work and try to send emails, I get "network error". I still receive email, and all other apps sync.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Whichever port your email account is set to use for SMTP (sending email), the network at work has it blocked for outgoing traffic. Why? You'd have to ask your email or network administrator.

Sometimes, if you add your work email address as an account in your phone, and use that to send emails, it works. That way you're using the work email server to send the emails and it can check for viruses, etc. That's one reason they may be blocking outgoing emails to another server. (Of course there are other "reasons". In one case that I know of, and helped someone overcome, the "email administrator", really an administrative assistant who knew nothing about computers, read something about viruses getting into open ports, so he blocked a lot of outgoing ports.)

3. Captain Sexy

Captain Sexy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    Male
    what you're saying makes sense, but it's actually the guest network I have the phone on so I'm not sure why it would be blocked. Also, it worked fine before we changed buildings, it's only since the building change it's not working proper. As far as I know I'm the only one having issues with this type of thing too.

4. jmatherly411

jmatherly411 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 7, 2012
    Male
    The Lawn Star (Owner/Operator)
    Virginia

It doesn't matter, if the outbound ports on your regular work network are blocked 99% of the time it holds true to the guest network as well unless the admin goes in and turns it off manually for the guest network. Building change equals a network change and your admin blocked these ports when you changed buildings. You stated you get LTE so why not just use your 4G connection instead since the outbound port is blocked probably for security reasons. :security: