• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email not syncing properly - any ideas?

HX_Guy

Jul 27, 2010
I setup two IMAP email accounts and they are set to check email every 5 minutes but they do not auto check the email, I have to manually refresh and then if I check a message on my desktop, it doesn't sync back to the phone to show it's already been read.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Are you killing email from running? I had this problem when I first started using a task killer. I didn't know the Android OS required services to be running to enable background data and notifications. Everytime I put my phone down I kill all tasks and email was one of them. I added email to the "ignore list" in advanced task killer, so that it is never killed when I end everything else and that was the problem. I started receiving notifications. And I think the server marks read emails as "read" at the next sync/update, so if you mark it as read and immediately go check your email server, you won't see the change.

Upvote 0
I've had tons of problems with the default email program. I'm using MailDroid, it is pretty basic right now. I don't think it's been out long. But it is fast and seems to be reliable so far.
Problems I've had with the default email. I have (had) 3 accounts set up.
a)It would tell me I have multiple new emails, 4 or 5 times a day (every day I would have 1 saying I have 25 new emails). When I checked, there usually would be zero new emails.
b)Slow, slow, slow....
c) On one of the accounts the sent box said the latest email was sent in '09!
d) did I say, slow........

Upvote 0
I had the same issue. I was using Advanced app killer and I was unaware that every time I was killing all those apps running I was also killing my gmail app and that was stopping it from pushing my mail to my phone. I just checked gmail off as one of the apps I want the app killer to ignore. Hope this works! I'm fairly confident it will. Hope this helps others with the similar issue.

Upvote 0
I tried K-9 Mail and don't like the look of it at all, seems to cluttered. I just got MailDroid which I like how it looks but whats with ads and not being able to get an ad-free version? Plus I hate how it doesnt take you directly into the inbox when you open the program.

Man I hate to say it but the iPhone UI/apps worked so much better....they just worked as you expected them out of the box. Too bad that as a phone itself it is horrible.

Upvote 0
Yeah... i tried K9 as well and uninstalled it. I found a yahoo mail app. that i'm going to try for a couple of days..which means that I will be using two apps to get my mail (not good). still on the fence but the more time goes by the more I feel that this phone is going back.... just not there yet in terms of making things easy....

Upvote 0
I feel the same in respects to the UI and the apps...but damn the phone works so much better as a phone, as in making calls, then the iPhone ever did. Not one dropped call or a call that wouldn't go through in the last 4 days of using the Captivate. In the same time period, I would have wanted to throw the iPhone at a wall at least a half dozen times.

Upvote 0
I tried K-9 Mail and don't like the look of it at all, seems to cluttered. I just got MailDroid which I like how it looks but whats with ads and not being able to get an ad-free version? Plus I hate how it doesnt take you directly into the inbox when you open the program.

Man I hate to say it but the iPhone UI/apps worked so much better....they just worked as you expected them out of the box. Too bad that as a phone itself it is horrible.

Once I feel like it is bug free, I will release a pro version that is ad free. I felt that I should iron out all the bugs and main features before selling an application.

Reactions: pank
Upvote 0
Once I feel like it is bug free, I will release a pro version that is ad free. I felt that I should iron out all the bugs and main features before selling an application.

That would be great, good to see your input as a developer here.

I really like the layout but I do have a couple requests if possible.

1. Option to chose the status bar icon, not a big fan of the spider icon, would like something just simple like an envelope.

2. Possible to get a pop up on the homescreen when the email comes in similar to how SMS pop ups work?

3. Have the app launch right into the inbox instead of on the accounts list.

4. Unified inbox

Thanks for listening, let me know what you think.

Upvote 0
One downside to MailDroid I discovered today is that it does not show you attachments embedded in the message itself, you have to download it and then view it separately.

I think Im going to go to GMail and setup my non GMail accounts (that are through Dreamhost) to work with GMail. I like the look of GMail, attachments work well, and notifications are instant.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones