• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email Notifications and Sync

otth2oskier

Lurker
May 27, 2011
When a new email arrives (POP3), I get a notification in the notification bar. That is good. If I subsequently remove the email from the server using another email service (for example reading it with Outlook), I would expect that the notification gets removed. Yet it stays and when I check it, there is no email to read.

Any way to make that behaviour better?

Nope. The app on your device does not interact with Outlook. It connects directly to the mail server. The mail server doesn't track notification status for any of the clients that connect to it.

POP is old tech and doesn't even support sync like other mail account types. Mail accounts that do sync can sync read/unread status, deletions and moves but they won't sync notification status.

Upvote 0
Nope. The app on your device does not interact with Outlook. It connects directly to the mail server. The mail server doesn't track notification status for any of the clients that connect to it.

POP is old tech and doesn't even support sync like other mail account types. Mail accounts that do sync can sync read/unread status, deletions and moves but they won't sync notification status.

I understand that the device does not interact with Outlook. My reference to Outlook is just another POP3 client accessing the same mailbox. Any other POP email notification tool I have used can recognize the absence of a message on the server and adjust it's list accordingly. I was surprised when my Android notification did not do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones