1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Email problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Barbara, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    I've been having an issue with my battery and I think it might stem from my gmail fighting with my K-9 mail. I do not want to use gmail but there is no way to uninstall that app. When I set up my phone, it automatically added my gmail account into that app. I then set up K-9 mail and I was getting notifications from both programs. So I turned off notifications in gmail but the account was still functioning. Then my computer started giving me an error message saying something about too many simultaneous instances. The other thing is that when I was in gmail and tried to go into settings, it would bring up the battery meter.

Now for my question; how do I disable gmail? I really, really want to use K-9 mail (unless there is something better out there that I don't know about) I have two gmail accounts and one zoomtown account that I like to have on my phone.

Advertisement

2. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    I hate to talk to myself but I think I have solved the problem. I thought I would put it here in case someone else has the same issue. I went into Settings>Accounts and turned off all the syncing in the google account. Hopefully that solves the battery issue.

3. xXIncognitoXx

xXIncognitoXx Newbie
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    Mine has been disabled all day, and didn't seem to matter. I did turn off the GPS and Sync in the Power widget, it's back on the charger now (got down to 10% at about 10 hours). Will retest tomorrow with the GPS/Sync off the entire day, and see if that makes any difference.

4. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

Give the battery a few cycles to wear in. Also in the battery manager is there still a max battery saver mode like in froyo? try that.

5. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    They do have battery saver mode but I want to be able to use the phone the way it's supposed to be used without giving up the "perks". I installed "green power" that was recommended in the favorite apps thread on this forum. (I'm just trying out the free version for now.)

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.gpo.greenpower2

6. aaexpert

aaexpert Lurker
    None

Jul 13, 2011

Any link for where to find the 'recommended favorite apps thread' in here??

7. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    It just a general "Favorite App" thread for all Android phones. No one has created a thread specifically for the Droid 3...yet.

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/1183-favorite-app-so-far.html

BTW, I uninstalled green power because I didn't find it necessary after all and it was just one more thing on my phone. But others talk highly of it.

8. aaexpert

aaexpert Lurker
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    thanks barbara, ive been researching this phone to buy tomorrow (d3) and read alot of your informative threads here....looking forward to my first smartphone!
    Mitch