1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Email push gone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hawks67, Aug 22, 2012.

1. hawks67

hawks67 Lurker

Hi, folks, Note newbie (SGH i717, AT&T) here after many years as an iPhone user. Really like it so far, especially since I upgraded to 4.0.4 yesterday. Found it odd that the phone came with just OS 2.something right out of the box; that seems like quite a jump. But anyway...

Before I upgraded to 4.0.4, my email was working just fine. I have MS Exchange server and all my phone settings were set to Push. Emails were coming through (*ding*) just as they did with the iPhone. Some were arriving at the phone before they arrived on my PC!

Then I upgraded. Now if I want to see if I have emails, I have to hit Refresh every time, even though all the settings are still on Push. No emails are getting "Pushed" through to the phone. This is so unacceptable, it's almost enough to return the phone. Figured I'd check with the experts on here first. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. StarScream2109

StarScream2109 Extreme Android User

Hey Gary have you checked the email settings and the accounts and sync settings? Check those and let me know :)

3. hawks67

hawks67 Lurker

Apollo, yep, everything is set to Push. All my accounts worked perfectly fine with the iPhone and with the Note and its out-of-box OS (2.?). Only thing in this equation that's different is the 4.0.4 OS.

4. StarScream2109

Did you do a factory reset after upgrading to 4.0?

5. hawks67

hawks67 Lurker

I did not do anything purposely; if the upgrade process did that (it did restart itself a few times), then yes. If not, then no. I was not instructed to do it...

When you say "factory reset", do you mean wiping the phone and deleting all the data? Wow, not something I really would rather do after two days of installing apps & tweaking the device to my liking.

6. StarScream2109

Yeah it's always best to wipe the phone after such a big update could be the problem

7. hawks67

hawks67 Lurker

OK, fortunately for me, I already did a full backup using Kies. Is that sufficient?

Forgive me if I appear dense here, but if I factory reset the phone, it'll send me back to 2.whatever (the OS that shipped with the phone), right? Then I upgrade to 4.0.4, restore my backup and...won't I just be taken right back to where I am now? Wouldn't I just be re-creating the exact same environment?

Also, more dense-ness...why was I only prompted to upgrade to ICS when Jelly Bean has been out since July?

Thanks again in advance.

8. hawks67

hawks67 Lurker

FWIW, I just shut the phone off and restarted it. Got an email, heard the *ding* as soon as it came back up, reminding me to mention that I do get Push notifications upon restarting the phone, but none thereafter until I restart again.

9. hawks67

hawks67 Lurker

Just did a little digging and found postings on at least two developer sites describing this exact issue. Push is not working on 4.0.4. Woke up today thinking Android OS developers were smart...ending the day now thinking they belong at Burger King. Just exactly how does a glitch like this evade detection during testing? Bush league.

Am I really the only one who's noticing this absence of Push?

Samsung Galaxy Note Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note release date was January 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 2500mAh battery.

January 2012
Release Date
Reviews