• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help email set up issues

angelab

Lurker
Apr 11, 2015
I just got my s6 edge today and i can't set up all of my email accounts. It keeps saying authentication failed. And i have disconnected off my WiFi.

Also recovering backed up things. I backed up all of my stuff on my old s5 using drop box and samsung etc and now i can't get the sms conversations and everything back.

"Authentication failed" generally means that there is an error with the account information being entered.
Using the browser on your S6, try and access your email on the provider's webpage.
If that does not work then try the same process on your PC using your PC web browser.
If the above steps work, try your email app again using the manual option and make sure that you enter the information appropriate for POP3/IMAP or Microsoft exchange ActiveSync. Also, at the risk of being obvious, make sure that you pay attention to upper and lower case.
I presume you are using the built-in email app?

Best of luck
I've logged into my 2 mail accounts and they are working fine. Ones a mail account and the other one is a local mob iinet.

And I've just tried the mail one again and it's still saying set up couldn't finish authentication failed. And the iinet.net.au one says cannot safely connect to server.

I'll try a few more things tonight then I'll try a factory reset again and see if there's any difference. Otherwise I'll start again with this tomorrow. Thanks

Upvote 0
Im having the same issue setting up my iCloud email address on my S6. Ive tried SSL, TLS both normal and ALL certificates and it just wont work. My last Android device was an S3 and I remember it set up no problem back then. Have Apple made it more difficult setting up iCloud on an android device?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Reactions: TJA77 and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I have one more idea...are you using a password with any special characters (& # $ @ * etc) or a space in it? If so that can be a no-no. Try a new password with letters and numbers only and no spaces.

AquaMail is my go-to all-time favorite. More features, customization options than any other client I know of, fast and stable and I like the UI. Plus very good support.

Maildroid also has good support and Type Mail, K9, MailWise, CloudMagic and some others all have their fans.

Upvote 0
Just got my Samsung 6 last Friday and I have had one problem after another! Wishing I was still with my Samsung 3!!!! Email issues "authetication failed"...have tried all the recommendations, even removing and adding back. Nothing is working! Was fine until I changed password yesterday on my main computer. That seemed to mess up phone! Any ideas??? And yes, I am entering the NEW password on the phone and it still comes up with "authentication failed". Another fun issue I am having is that since the purchase of my phone last Friday, it shows me having 2 voice messages yet when you go to voicemail, it says you have NO messages. Took phone to Sprint tech and he couldn't figure it out either! Another GRRRRRR!!!! And the latest problem is when looking at my "messages" the contacts are all blank and only showing phone numbers, no names?!? HELP!!!! I am about to return this darn phone since I am still within the 14 day return period!!!!!

Upvote 0
Regarding the iCloud problems, I had them and solved them. Apple forces us to get an "application password" for the android mail app. You can do that going (via web) to Apple id configuration (http://appleid.apple.com) > Log in > My Apple id > Password and security > Generate an app password). Thats it. You go to Android Mail or Gmail on your phone (I haven´t tried other mail apps) and then you put there the password generated for this app that you have got from apple id (not your default apple id password). That will work. It´s working for me.

Upvote 0
Just to give a solution to work with Apple's 2 factor authentication and 3rd party apps.

You can go into your iCloud Account (where you activated your 2FA ) and under

Security -> APP-SPECIFIC PASSWORD

you can create a password to work with your mail client and STILL have 2FA enabled. This password will not need to input the 2FA code usually provided and can be easily revoked in case your device/app is being compromised.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Issue Resolved. Yahoo or your provider are blocking the login.

This seems to be yahoo way of luring customer to download and use their standalone yahoo mail app.

Message Alert from yahoo while I was trying to set up the email on my Sansung Note 7 Email App.

"Someone attempted to sign in to your Yahoo account (xxxxx) from an app that doesn't meet Yahoo's security standards. We blocked this sign in attempt, which was made on:

Thu, Oct 13, 2016 7:28 AM EDT from Canada.

If you were trying to sign in, then please take one of these actions:

Option 1 (recommended): Use mail.yahoo.com or the Yahoo Mail app for Android and iOS to more securely access your account.

Option 2 (not recommended): If you still want to use an app that uses less secure sign in to your Yahoo account: "

Here is what i did and it worked

Solution Option 1.

1. Turned on 2 Step verification
2. Created an App Password
3. Used that App Password created and logged into the Note 7 Email app and it worked on 1 attempts.

Solution Option 2
Sign into yahoo, got to setting and enable the option that says
"Allow apps that use less secure sign in"
once you enable that it should allow you to sign into the Samsung email app without issues.

I hope this Helps you guys out. Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones