• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email setup help

How long it stays on you're phone depends on when you chose to delete it. Some emails I save for weeks, others I trash as soon as I see them. It is a manual type thing, nothing automatic.
In the Mail settings you will find a check box to select or deselect deleting from the server. Also, I like K9 Mail software for even more features. It's on the Market

Upvote 0
I checked those settings...but it doesn't give me an option on how long emails stay on my phone...

For example...I received an email yesterday from a friend at about 10:00 AM Eastern time...

At around 10:15 today...it was gone from my phone...

Also, if I delete an email off of my phone, it is no longer on the server either...some emails I get, I need to save on yahoo or gmail...but don't want them on my phone anymore. But if I delete them from my phone, they are also deleted from yahoo and gmail.

I'm stumped.

Upvote 0
As far as deleting emails off your phone and them being deleted off the server as well, this is normal operation as far as I know. I know with my old BlackBerry I could choose to delete and then have the option of deleting on handheld, server, or both. When something is deleted on the Hero, it deletes on both server and handheld. I have not found a setting yet to choose remain on server. I have found warn before delete, but that is it.

Upvote 0
If you are using imap you can set how far back you want it to get messages for. Messages will disappear from your phone when that time expires but they aren't being deleted. Imap is not like pop3 and doesn't remove messages when it "downloads" them. It technically doesn't download messages as such while pop3 does actually download the messages and has options for leaving messages on the server. Imap doesn't have the options as any operation you perform on the message is sent to the server immediately. With GMail you can set your imap options on the server and I assume you can with Yahoo! as well. You won't find options on the phone to control what the imap server does with your mail because it's always controlled by the server and never by the phone. What you set on the server determines what happens to mail when you do something to it on your phone. Pop3 is just the opposite. You have to set all your options on the client side of the equation as the server is a dumb server and merely transfers data.

So for emails being deleted on the server go look at your options on you Yahoo! GMail accounts. For messages not showing up on your phone look at how many days you told it to fetch and realize that each fetch is refreshing the list of messages so if it's set for 24 hours then it's only going to show the last 24 hours of mail regardless of what you have or have not read, downloaded, etc. That is if you are using imap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones