• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email shows "Loading messages..." when I try to reply to an email

Me and wife both have Note4 and had the exact same issue since Sunday and has been driving me crazy for 4 days. Even though I configured Gmail app for my other email account I still prefer the built-in app. I could not figure out how to fix it aftet 4 days so many thanks for the fix I roll back the web viewer and it's working now amazing how can they do an update without proper debugging. I am sure many of the people will have the same issue.

Upvote 0
I've been having this issue as well with my Note 4 and I managed to fix it this afternoon.
Go to your settings, apps, application manager, email, hit "force stop", the "storage" info started to load and appeared to get stuck. I hit the back button and went back into the email program, clicked on "storage", and hit "CLEAR CACHE."

That was it. I can now respond to emails without being stuck in the "loading messages" black hole.

hope this helps someone.

Upvote 0
So I have a note 3 and I think I've figured it out. Open the app, go to settings, Manage Accounts, select your account, More Settings, and check the box next to "Sync all emails in conversation". The app used to manually pull the older messages in the string from the server when you went to reply/forward even if the older messages were not synced in advance. Now it seems this update requires them to be synced in advance. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Thanks Jeremy, but that does not work for me. And disabling webview messes up other apps. I'm amazed they've not fixed this by now? It can't be universal so why does it affect us? Is there anyway we can pressure someone to fix it? I tried moving to outlook, bit that was hellish with emails disappearing unsent and unreceived (never trying that again)

Upvote 0
Same here, multiple Note4's, all same android version. Working on Exchange 2013 and Office365 including Sophos Control MDM. It Seems that only the Note 4 has this problem. All other devices (ipads, Note5 Samsung J3, Xcover, J5 multiple types) no problems reported. As soon as i disable the settings- apps- app manager- android system webviewer. Problem is gone.

Upvote 0
OK, in the Android Email app, not gmail, but the actual Email app, I can receive messages. I can send a new message. But any time I try to reply to a message, as soon as I click reply, the compose window opens and then there is a box that says "Loading messages..."

This is on a Samsung Note 3 phone. My email comes in just fine on my Samsung Tab E tablet. The server settings and credentials are all set correctly. Just start happening today. Have gone into the application manager to email, and cleared the cache for the email app.
screenshot.png

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....
I have this same problem but managed to take care of it (at least temporarily) by pulling up the program in the play store and uninstalling the updates. Then I went into SETTINGS and APPLICATION MANAGER and disabling ANDROID SYSTEM WEBVIEW. It seems that one of the last updates created this problem. At the moment it works and hopefully by disabling it, there won't be any updates to create the problem again. I will eventually enable it and see if the problem has been fixed.

Reactions: learning still
Upvote 0
May have just come up with at least a temp fix by searching similar issues. Went to settings- apps- app manager- android system webviewer. Hit disable which rolls it back to an earlier version. Seems to be forwarding or replying now on over ten tests

I have a Samsung Galaxy s5 and s4. I rolled back the webviewer version and both email clients on both phones are now working. Thanks for the fix.

Upvote 0
For the sake of testing if this System WebView app is indeed causing the trouble, I just got the newest App version back and Email app got stuck immediately....so it really is the cause of problem. But I uninstalled it again and Reply works just fine again...I will try to avoid the automatic updates of this app until I get confirmation that the newest version gives a fix to this problem...if anybody gets the news that we are safe to install the newest updates, let us know. Thanks.

Hi @Milivoj
I Just wanted to say I like your approach to trouble shoot and then verify that the suspected source of the problem is indeed the problem!

If you HAVE to use that particular client and it's broke in current update my workaround in the meantime would be to As you've said revert to the orig. version by removing the update.
then to prevent further problems i'd probably just use Titanium back up and Un-link the app in the fone from the market.
this way you can continue to use the app and google play doesn't keep trying to update it for you.

Of course TB requires a rooted device... :(

but hey that's just my two cents.

AStr4y4L
Team_Astr4y4L

Upvote 0
I followed the steps to rollback and disable the Android web view and now every email I try to send or forward FAILS. Have Galaxy S5. Very frustrating. I cannot work if I cannot reply to emails. Tried reinstalling and of course now get loading messages. There are no settings on the S5 to sync all as referenced above on a Galaxy Note

Upvote 0
I have an S5 and it started the send issue when replying to emails a couple of days ago. I also noticed it wouldn't load a picture in an email. I followed the djback post "into SETTINGS and APPLICATION MANAGER and disabling ANDROID SYSTEM WEBVIEW". When I clicked uninstall, it rolled back to factory version. My emails seem to work again without any issues, and so far no other problems.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the support. I spent over 2 hours trying to troubleshoot this issue to no avail. It's unfortunate that Android and Samsung did not get together and spend a few minutes coming up with a fix for a well-documented problem. This fix worked fine and I expect it should alleviate any problems for the time being, but I'll be happy to post any ramifications I find in other system apps. Thanks again for the great support. Happy holidays

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
...I could not figure out how to fix it aftet 4 days so many thanks for the fix I roll back the web viewer and it's working now amazing how can they do an update without proper debugging. I am sure many of the people will have the same issue.
Just an off-hand defense for developers, debugging code is not a trivial task, and especially when it involves multiple parties. It's not just the Android operating system itself but several different vendors (both hardware and software) that add in their own software to the mix so what you receive in your mobile device is actually a huge compilation of work from multiple sources. All it takes is one random instruction conflicting with another currently running process to cause a problem, the issue involving hundreds if not thousands of lines of code that need to interact with each other in any given moment.
So yes, on the surface it's always very annoying when some function is not working correctly but underneath there's a lot going on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones