1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Email speed test.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sreum, Dec 29, 2011.

1. sreum

sreum Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    michigan
    Well as most of you know we for the most part have 2 email options to use if you only use gmail. First its to use the phones standard email app. Second is to use gmail app.

Here is the kicker though...gmail is instant delivery where the standard email app always has a delay. That's the up side for using gmail app. Has anyone else found any benefits besides that for using the gmail app?

Advertisement

2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    The only other benefit is.. its the email username & password for almost everything on my Android phone.

3. Nilpotent

Nilpotent Member
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Email can be removed from the system if you don't use it (so it will not run in the background and you'll get back a few MB of RAM). I need to check but I have big doubts Gmail can be removed.

4. FulciLives

FulciLives Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    I use gmail for my 'main' gmail account which is tied into various Google services, i.e., I use it for my contacts (on the phone) and Google Voice (I like the voice mail feature) etc.

I have a 2nd gmail account but I set that up under the 'stock' e-mail app. I also have a Yahoo e-mail that I've set up under the 'stock' e-mail app.

I installed Hotmail because I don't like how the exchange server thing works. Images don't seem to work.

So I have the gmail app for 1 gmail account
    Stock e-mail for Yahoo and a 2nd gmail account
    Hotmail for my live.com account (Actually I have two)

I wish that Hotmail did IMAP well with the stock e-mail app so I wouldn't have to use the Hotmail app instead.

5. zcarman

zcarman Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    IT Support, Testing, Product Development
    Everett, WA
    I've forwarded my emails to my Gmail Account and use the Gmail app only on my phone. For my tablet, I have set up my Gmail (everything comes in) and the stock Email program from the Toshiba Thrive to reply from.

The Gmail app will save you a minimum of 20% of your battery daily over pulling emails every 15 minutes. The average email check takes about 1-2% of the batter to pull so figure 5% of your battery per hour - or up to 50% of your battery during the workday - right as your phone sits there and checks emails...

The Gmail app not only receives 'pushed' emails from the Google servers, but it's only active when you receive a message. Most of my forwarded accounts arrive within 15-30 minutes and that seems to be fast enough for me to reply.

And for the record, you can set labels in Gmail and have the forwarded accounts 'tagged' with where they came from for ease of use.

6. captainbob

captainbob Member
    None

Dec 15, 2011
  7. surgerush

surgerush Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    New York State
    K-9 is the best e-mail app I've tried yet.