1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Email stopped syncing, authentication fails during new setup.

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by GAMESHARQ, Jan 6, 2020.

1. GAMESHARQ

GAMESHARQ Android Enthusiast

The email on my phone stopped syncing early yesterday morning. I deleted the account and tried to add it again as new, but I get a message saying that the authentication failed.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I am using an @live.com email address if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by lunatic59, Jan 6, 2020 (1 points)
  3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

The server may be down for your email account

GAMESHARQ likes this.
  4. GAMESHARQ

Oddly enough, it works fine from an iPhone so it seems to be Android-related.

5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

GAMESHARQ likes this.
  6. GAMESHARQ

No problem signing in from the web.

I am using the stock email app on the phone.

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Ah, this might be the problem. It could be that you have a cached or saved certificate and the certificate for live.com renewed. Try setting it up in a different email client like gmail or download the Microsoft app and login that way. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.outlook

GAMESHARQ and Dannydet like this.
  8. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Good news there's not anything device specific with this email access issue then. If you prefer to keep using the stock email app, try going to your Settings >> Apps menu, find and open the email app entry, and then find the 'Clear data' option. Using that will wipe all the app's settings and configurations, along with the app's cache, essentially returning the app back to its original, first time use state. If you're still having an issue with setting up your email account after that, you could try to just manually add your account, using Microsoft's suggested settings:
    https://www.serversettings.email/live.com-email-server-settings-imap.php#android

But in most situations, most third-party email apps will have a bigger feature set and more options to alter the user interface, so you might want to just disable the stock email app and install a more robust email client -- the Outlook app is from Microsoft too so it integrates well with its other online services, or if you prefer to go outside the MS realm, a more independent option that gets good reviews is the Blue Mail app.

GAMESHARQ likes this.
  9. GAMESHARQ

Thanks, all. Clearing the email app data seems to have fixed the problem.

lunatic59 and svim like this.