• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help email taking up 119 mb

janihunt

Lurker
Dec 1, 2011
Help! My phone keeps telling me that I have low internal memory. I've moved everything that I can to the SD card. I've exported my contacts and cleared the data, and imported them back in. I've spent about 2 hours looking for an answer that doesn't tell me I need to do a factory reset. When I manage my apps, my email is the has the most mb used, which is 119. I have to email accounts, one of which is empty, the other has 5 emails. I'm sure this is the problem, I just don't know how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated!

the lg enlighten doesn't have alot of internal memory to begin with. I believe after all the bloatware installed by the phone company, it comes down to about 120mb of internal memory. The enlighten email app uses a POP/POP3 email retrieval protocol (since the pre-installed email app is more of an email client), which means that it will download all emails from the internet that is stored on the email server, onto your phone.

Even if you delete all the emails from your phone, more than likely, the phone will download all emails back again onto your phone whenever your try to access your email account using the email app.(This has happened to me.)

So the easiest way is if you're running out of memory because of emails, is to go to the internet and log onto your email account and delete the messages that you don't need anymore or put the messages into a folder on the server so that the phone does not download those messages back onto your phone.

Another solution is just to use the enlighten internet browser to check emails rather than the email app.

Here's another solution:
Note that when you delete emails on your phone, it gets thrown into a "trash bin" just like in Windows.
1. So you need to click on the email app.
2. Click on the email address you want to clean up from your phone.
3. Click on the settings button on the bottom left corner of the phone. (This is the actual real button that you press which looks like a square.) This brings up a settings menu.
4.Click on folders.
5.Click on trash.
6. Click the settings button again to bring up the setting menu and choose delete all.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 again for the other email account.

So every time you delete emails from one account on the phone, it puts it into the trash bin. Don't worry if you delete emails using the email app on the phone, it will not permanently delete your files from the actual server. The only way to permanently delete files is to go onto the internet browser and logging into the email website and deleting files from there.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I'm dumbing it down a bit. This is just in case someone else is having the same issues. If these solutions don't work then let me know and I will try to help. good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones