• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email trouble on the Epic?

he needs to update maildroid to download the entire email. I couldn't take being without a signal and not being able to access all this new mail it said I had. He seems pretty responsive, so I'm using k9 till his update comes out. stock android email just plain stinks.

And fyi...nothing about k9 feels like stock. Sharing checkboxes and stars is a fairly standard way of doing things, but that's about as stock feeling as it gets. And K9 does push too. Don't know why you think it doesn't.
I am telling you that Maildroid is the way to go......even K-9 Mail is waaaaay better then the stock email client...The very first thing I deleted once I rooted my Epic was the stock email client cause it sucks...If you have important emails then please try one of these two....K-9 is a little more advanced but has the stock email feel, allowing you to check every so often for incoming mail....Maildroid is like push email and comes pretty quick after an email is received...Please, everyone.....give up on the stock email client, thank you. :)

Upvote 0
It's only free while it's in beta. Be prepared to shell out more than $5 for it once it goes live. And it's not better than K9 until it can download the entire email. Other than that, it's the cleanest option out there. And the back button is still wildly inconsistent, and it has little niggles here and there.

I really hate seeing the body of my email in the email list in K9. I'm happy with the clean look of just the from and subject like other email programs.
It's the best android email client out there! Polls all accounts automatically. Trust me. Do it. You will be very happy. And it's FREE.

Upvote 0
Dumb question, but are you looking in the right sent folder? Assuming you're talking about aol mail. I had two in the stock email app for my aol accounts. But I've been much happier using K9 and maildroid.

No, not AOL mail. I have a sent items folder and a sent folder, my sent messages are not being retained in either folder nor are they retained on the server. Email support advised that this is a setting that has to be set up on the email app. As far as I can see there is no such setting option????

Maildroid offers me the option of copying sent mail to the phone and to the server, but I prefer the look and ease of the stock email app.

Upvote 0
Well support doesn't know what they're talking about unless it's an android feature in 2.2. Stock android email is not smartphone quality unless you're on gmail. 2.2 might have that capability, but I haven't seen Froyo yet outside of the evo, and that is htc's email app, not android's.

You might be using one of the other two apps whether you like it or not. Stock email alszo doesn't allow you to report spam or move email to saved folders which is why I don't use it.

Upvote 0
Well support doesn't know what they're talking about unless it's an android feature in 2.2....

Not sprint support, bluebottle.com support, a paid, spam-free, email that I found several years ago...."In order for the Bluebottle servers to retain a copy of sent emails, you need to have your email clients set to use the IMAP protocol and the client needs to configured to save sent emails in the 'Sent Items' folder on the Bluebottle server."

You might be using one of the other two apps whether you like it or not...

You're right, looks like K-9 is my poison of choice. :(

Upvote 0
reviving this thread because of a search, but i had the same question. i usually go into the task manager and shut off the active applications; do i need to leave it going to receive emails? btw, maildroid is the best i've found so far in sending me emails immediately (i'm too used to the BB!)

also, to the guy who synced his yahoo email so his gmail checked the yahoo, how did you do that?

Upvote 0
Sorry this has happened to you. I switched from MS Mobile and need business functionality as well, but while I share your problem w/ the native email client not pushing and notifying me of my several accounts (a problem I hope to solve) I have not had ANY of the other issues you have described.
Sounds like you have a bad unit in combination w/ less than optimal email functionality. You really should try exchanging for a new Epic, use MailDroid as your client (just made the switch to MD- it's pretty good, nothing is going to be BB good when it comes to email) and you just might come to the same conclusion that I have: while email is a small step below BB & MS Mobile, on balance, Android in an EPIC blows away any other phone (sorry EVO, et al- I need a keyboard) and w/ the right apps installed the Epic has made me more productive and efficient in the conduct of my business (and it's so much fun when I'm not working!). I'm definitely keeping my Epic 4G.

ok....I am BACK!

So as I left it last...I returned my phone...so annoyed with my email.

Then my husband surprised me with a new one for Christmas...thinking maybe it was my phone.

Well...uh no...same email issues as before and again tried maildroid and K-9 and neither fixed the issues of it downloading.

Then I started thinking...I wonder if the gmail email works differently? and I wonder if I could forward my email through there?

Long story short, I setup in gmail for my three email accounts to be forwarding to my gmail account. Then I put labels on each account and filters so when they downloaded they came in with a label so that I would know which email they came from and could easily sort through them all.

I also, put it so that when I reply back to a message that someone sends me from one of these emails...they will not know I used gmail as it will show that it came from the email they sent it to.

I also changed my main email to the default as I use it the most.

Waaaallllaaaa!! It works like magic! I get my emails just like I did on my blackberry...almost instantly.

I am hoping this will help someone else out as I've always loved all the functions of the phone....it's just the darn email.

So thought I would share my work around and it really works great!!

Nicole

Upvote 0
I have a possible solution that may or may not be acceptable for some of you. I have gmail check my other accounts for me. My gmail addess and yahoo are the same (myname@gmail.com and myname@yahoo.com). I have it set up so that if I reply to an email sent to my yahoo, it says it's from "name@yahoo.com " I've been using Yahoo for over 10 years now, so I didn't want to lose that address, nor did I want to send a mass "My email has changed" email. Most of my friends and family still us the Yahoo address to contact me, and haven't even realized that I'm really using Gmail. This isn't a perfect solution, but it has it's advantages. Since it is the Gmail server polling my yahoo account it saves battery life on the phone. Also, I have all my mail and contacts on one website now. Gmail client is push, so it is fast like a blackberry. It also has a better spam filter, and after you get used to the inbox, you might like it better than most (it is different though). When we get Froyo, you'll be able to use the priority inbox also. Give it a try, if you don't like it, you can always undo it, and it's free.

Should have read this before my post....but i'll just second this....works flawlessly!!! So much more like my blackberry...but better with the android functions on the phone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones