• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email works on Droid but not in Outlook (exchange question)

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am running BBv1.0 @ 1100Mhz (LV) with Fabolous' NexBeast and I would never have accomplished that were it not for the help I received in these forums.

I am hoping that someone out there is an expert with all things Exchange and Outlook; I was able to add a new account in the stock email.apk which is tied in to the exchange server at work and have no problem sending/receiving mail. I followed instructions designed to add the exchange account on an iPhone but I'm having trouble porting the information into Outlook.

My email address is different from my username (i.e. username is user1 but my email is firstname.lastname@company.com). On my phone I have Domain\username, password and server but don't know where to put all of that into Outlook. Without revealing my company's name, domain, etc I have tried the following in Outlook:

server_name\domain under server and my username for the mailbox
server_name under server and domain\username for mailbox
server_name\domain under server and firstname.lastname for mailbox

If anyone has ANY recommendations I will be glad to try!

I am connecting from the machine at my desk to the company's exchange server. They give us the information to access email through the Outlook Web Access feature of the exchange server by going to https://mymail.companyname.com but will not provide the settings or support to access our email through Outlook. I know for a fact it can be done as a girl in tech support hinted that if I knew the mail server name (which she said she could not give out) it wouldn't be hard to plug that information into Outlook and get it to work. I have also been on web seminars and have seen instructors' access Outlook on their own machine.

Upvote 0
Spent another hour or so tinkering with different settings within Outlook and I still haven't had any luck thusfar...

I'm not sure if they are using Exchange Server 2007 or 2003 (or if that makes any difference) but I do know that when I mouse-over an email in my inbox the link is to https://mymail.companyname.com/Exchange/username/Inbox/Email_subject_here.EML - I've also tried going into the router settings to assign the domain name that I put in email.apk as the local domain name. I've always been under the impression that it is easier to setup an account with Outlook than on Android/iPhone/BB but so far that has not been the case.

Upvote 0
Server name for external access may be completely different from the one for internal access.

In Outlook you don't specify the server name and user name together. They're entirely separate fields.

When going through the "add new account" screens, Outlook prompts for both Microsoft Exchange Server and User Name. Is domain necessary in Outlook (without it, mail DOES NOT WORK on my Droid) and if so, where does it go?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones