• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

tommy793

Lurker
Nov 19, 2009
Not sure if this is a phone specific question or a theme question or what, but figured Id start here since Im debating on whether Ill get the Moment.

Currently i have a HTC phone with TouchFlo UI installed. Its got a great preview screen for text messages and emails. I can go to a page/screen and read a preview of my emails or read my text messages without opening up my full inbox.

I was wondering if the plain Android UI has this ability, or if its like the blackberry UI where you just have an icon with a notification to tell you you have an email, then you have to actually open your full inbox to view the email.

Also, I dont plan on using gmail on the phone really, as I have a corporate exchange account ill be using 100% of the time. How is Moxier?

I just got the Moment a few days ago and use corporate email along with Gmail and a cable pop account. Moxier works well - better than I anticipated. It's a huge step forward coming from a Blackberry Pearl. I actually like it better than my co-worker's Droid which is running direct exchange support.

Upvote 0
I went from HTC Touch Pro running some of the 6.5 ROMS to the Moment. I miss MS Voice Command...but not that bad.

Moxier is perfectly functional. It'll take you about 15 minutes to figure out how to use it once you've setup the sync relationship...(ooh, so I press HERE to see who was on the copy list)...but you'll be fine.

The ONE thing that irks me about it is it seems to default to plaintext "reply-all" - and i'm used to being able to send HTML mail. Reminds me of the WM 5.0 days. Irritating. Might be corrected in a future update, or there might be a setting somewhere, but i haven't found it. Worst case, you can download one of the other activesync clients out there (TouchDown?)....

Saw a query on HTML support on Moment here: Samsung Moment:Send HTML Email with Samsung Moment via...

Upvote 0
Sorry - start rambling sometimes and forget what was even asked.

No way to setup a real "preview" like in TF3D to my knowledge.

When email comes in - the notification bar states "new email". You swipe it down - "you have X new emails" - clicking on it will take you to an inbox view where you see sender and subject line. Clicking further takes you into the particular email where you can see all text. Similiar to winmo - you can swipe back and forth from this view to scan through the inbox. Menu button brings up options (reply forward mark unread etc.)

Upvote 0
ah, thats what i figured, and is a shame. I love touchflo's ability to scan through emails and text messages without opening anything, and i dont want to loose it.

I wish HTC offered a slide out keyboard on a phone with the new Sense UI.. That or I hope there's an app or something that will give me this functionality.

Upvote 0
There's always the touch pro 2? ;)

Actually i would bet that if an exchange app out there doesn't do it already - something will be written to. Android is just now spreading across all the carriers - so i'm sure the app development is just beginning to really blossom.

Android 2.0 also natively supports exchange, but i'm not sure to what extent. If they support natively, I would assume it would make it easier to publish an API to app developers to make a widget or something that would do exactly what you are talking about.

Upvote 0
I think you find that if you get an android device now...you'll be settling in some way shape or form, but it's worth it. They're awesome (soooooo many apps), but going through some growing pains.

I'm confident that most of these pains are software, not hardware related - and should be addressed down the road either by official software updates, or "unofficial" ones post rooting ;) Android has a user/dev community following like no other - so it's only going to get better.

Good talk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones